After 341, before discharge question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After 341, before discharge question

First, thank you all soooo much for all the advice and wisdom I have found on this forum! Unlike a lot of people on here, I feel GREAT!!! I am very happy to be in the "60 day" club and can't wait to watch the hampster dance ( I hope someone will send the hampsters when my time comes ) I only wish everyone felt as good as I do to be almost finished with this whole mess and looking forward to a new beginning!

I have a question regarding the time between the 341 and discharge date. What type of information are you required to report to the Trustee? Such as- if there is an increase in income or buying a used car (would be paid in cash), or- my biggest question- my fiance is going to be moving in with me. We will be sharing household expenses, combining checking accounts, etc. Should we wait until after discharge and if so, how long after? There is no problem waiting, I just want to be sure I don't mess up anything before the discharge date.

Filed 4/17/2009
    341 5/26/2009
    Discharge date is to be 7/27/2009.
    Thank you to anyone who can answer my questions. Have a great weekend everyone!

Originally posted by feelnbetter View Post
    I have a question regarding the time between the 341 and discharge date. What type of information are you required to report to the Trustee?
    Usually nothing.

Such as- if there is an increase in income or buying a used car (would be paid in cash), or- my biggest question- my fiance is going to be moving in with me.
    Only an inheritance is required to be reported. You could win the lottery and not have to report it.

We will be sharing household expenses, combining checking accounts, etc. Should we wait until after discharge and if so, how long after?
    Were you an asset case or no-asset case? I would think you can do this immediately after discharge, but I'm no lawyer.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Oh, sorry! No asset Chapter 7 case. Thanks for your help

Comment

Filed 4/17/2009
        341 5/26/2009
        Discharge date is to be 7/27/2009.
        Thank you to anyone who can answer my questions. Have a great weekend everyone!

I also have the same discharge date...and also very happy!! No asset ch. 7.
        Filed Chapter 7 4/22/2009
        341 Meeting Scheduled 5/27/2009
        Discharged 7/30/2009
        Awaiting closing!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post

Only an inheritance is required to be reported. You could win the lottery and not have to report it.
          We were told any large sum of money we had to report. Inheritence, lottery or lawsuit.
          FILED CH7: 03/20/09
          341: May 11th, 2009
          DISCHARGED: July 13th, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by momof3b1g View Post
            We were told any large sum of money we had to report. Inheritence, lottery or lawsuit.
            I'm not disagreeing that you were told that, or that many attorneys say that you have to report lottery winnings.

There is much caselaw on lottery winnings, as the Bankruptcy Code only talks about inheritances, divorce, and life insurance proceeds received within 180 days from filing. Strange an attorney would say just large sums of money, but of course there are different local rules in each of the Districts.

11 USC 541 states that property that would have been property of the estate had it been received (acquired) on the date of the petition, within 180 days of the petition, are property of the estate. That property includes inheritances (by bequest, devise or other); property from a property settlement agreement with the debtor’s spouse (or by a divorce decree); or, property as a beneficiary of a life insurance policy or of a death benefit plan.

Nothing there says anything about the lottery or other windfall.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

as a precaution, i would wait for the discharge. while property of the estate is supposed to be determined on the date you file, why muddy the water? i wouldn't combine assets (like bank accounts) with anyone until discharge.

i see no problem with moving in together, though. congrats!
              filed ch7 May 09
              341 june 09
              discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X