ch 7 in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ch 7 in California

New to the forum, 62 yo,always paid my bills for 45 years, single , living with my disabled girlfriend of 20 years, sold our house in april 09 and got 90K in equity, half of which was mine, SSI rules stated girlfriend had to buy another house with in 3 months, could not find one for 45K so we found and bought a beat up bank repo for 98K with a 10K seller credit totaling 88K July 09. I own half and girlfriend owns half. We put into recorded trust and recorded homestead. Now I have 72k worth of credit card bills to go CH7 with as I have not been making any money this year and last year made only 10K.
    I have no retirement funds and have 2 old beater cars and a 2002 ford explorer all paid for. I will sell one of the beaters as it has a value of $500
    and is not running very good these days. My question is can I sell the the other beater car worth $1200 to my girlfriend for discounted price of $500.
    Can the court trustee force us to sell our home as my girfriend is not part of the Bk and owns 50K value and I understand I have 50 K value that I can protect. The houses in this neighborhood are worth 100 to 130 K. I will file for social security this week since I have arthritis pretty bad and just cannot find a decent job at 62 Y O. Thank you and Warmest Regards!!

You should be able to claim the equity in the house as an exemption. You won't have to sell the car.

You would probably fall under the California Exemption 1 Plan.
    Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
    341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
    Discharged: 11/30/2009
    Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X