Bankruptcy Counseling and Certification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bankruptcy Counseling and Certification

I was sent a paper from Advanced Debt Management (helpwithbills.org) requiring me to take their course pre discharge. Their fee is $40, is that about right?

Thanks in advanced!

The post-filing debtor's education course is mandatory. However, you don't have to take it from a specific company (just be sure it satisfies local bankruptcy requirements). I took mine at http://www.nationalpersonalfinance.com/main.asp. It lasted two hours (online) and the cost was $14.95.
    *Filed: September 23, 2009 *341: November 4, 2009 *Discharged: January 4, 2010 *Closed: January 20, 2010

Hakuna Matata...it means NO WORRIES!

Comment

Also, if you used an attorney they may want you to use a certain company.
      6/30/2009 Filed Ch. 7
      10/06/2009 Discharged
      01/24/2011 Closed

Comment

I used an Attorney and when I first filed he suggested Nova Debt which I used.
        That was when I filed chapt 13. And Novadebt also sent me something on a course (Money in Motion)
        Afterwards I received something from Advanced Management.

Now I was converted to 7 and I'm trying figure out if they are all the same and for a cheaper fee?

Comment

Obviously, you want to obtain the cheapest... but make sure it's "accepted" by your state/district.

I just used one of the ones suggested to me by my atty. Cost wasn't the cheapest, but at least I knew that course was accepted by the district/state. BTW, that was for the post-BK course.

For my pre-BK, I was able to show hardship and the fee was waived. I was able to take the pre-BK course for free.
          Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

I used the on-line service my attorney recommended. I paid $40 for each course/certificate. As long as it's state/district approved...you'll be fine. Good luck!
            Stopped paying CC...April 2009
            Filed CH 7 no-asset...Aug. 19, 2009
            341 meeting...Sept. 22, 2009
            DISCHARGED Nov. 24, 2009 CLOSED Dec. 9, 2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X