Mortgage Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortgage Interest

I know this might be the wrong folder, but here goes.

We were discharged on 1/19/10. We included the house in BK, but we are still in the house and have not heard a peep from Chase about foreclosure proceedings. We did pay Jan-Oct of 2009. I should be able to deduct the interest I DID pay, correct? I have yet to receive a 1099 from them.

Thanks!
    Filed CH 7 10/14/09
    341 11/18/09 DONE!
    Discharged 1/19/10!

I would think so since you did actually pay those payments but I'd double check with your lawyer or tax person just to be sure.
    4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
    5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
    7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
    7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

As long as you actually paid the mortgage interest, you can claim it on your taxes. I claimed all of mine for 2009 as I paid all of it. You can also claim the property taxes that you actually paid.

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
        As long as you actually paid the mortgage interest, you can claim it on your taxes. I claimed all of mine for 2009 as I paid all of it. You can also claim the property taxes that you actually paid.
        I agree.
        Wife Laid off - 11/16/2009 Missed First Payments - 12/5/2009
        Filed Chap 7 - 12/31/2009
        341 - 2/12/2010
        Discharged - 4/19/2010

Comment

Ok cool! I have not received anything from Chase yet, and was worried they would not send it since my bk was just discharged and i've missed payments!
          Filed CH 7 10/14/09
          341 11/18/09 DONE!
          Discharged 1/19/10!

Comment

I had the same problem with a short sale last year, they sent no interest statement and I called and requested it 2 times. My accountant ended up figuring out "approx." how much I paid and used those figures on the tax return. But they made sure to send be the 1099 showing the forgiven debt and since it was a 2nd part-time residence I had to pay taxes on it!
            If you think no one cares about you try missing a couple of payments.

Comment

If I don't get the one 1098 I am missing, I will simply deduct interest I paid on that loan based on my amortization calculations.
              C7 Filed: 2009-11-06 | 341: 2009-12-14: | DISCHARGED: 2010-02-09
              Condo: Walked away due to 2nd mortgage intransigence; 1st foreclosed. Now totally DEBT FREE!!

Comment

I have a first and a second mortgage. I stop paying July 2009. I received my 1098 statement for my second mortgage. You'll receive it soon. As far as I know they're required by law to send it by the end of January.
                Filed Chapter 7 - 12/16/2009
                341 Meeting - 1/26/2010 - done!
                Last day for objections - 2/25/2010
                Discharged 3/31/2010

Comment

Correct, if you itemize your deduction, you may deduct the interest your actually paid on your mortgage.

Comment

Received 1098 from 1st (CitiMortgage) but not one from 2nd (Chase). I wonder if Chase just doesn't send them out on BK'd loans.
                    Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

It seems like, by law they would have to! I hope to get it this week. Along with a W2 from one of hubbys jobs this year, so we can file our taxes!
                      Filed CH 7 10/14/09
                      341 11/18/09 DONE!
                      Discharged 1/19/10!

Comment

So, is it ok to look at the mortgage statement from my last payment (October) and go off of "year-to-date" values? I also pay a PMI, which is easy to calculate. I will just do that, I guess. Irritated that Chase didn't send something...unless I get it this week! I will wait until the end of the week to file to be safe.
                        Filed CH 7 10/14/09
                        341 11/18/09 DONE!
                        Discharged 1/19/10!

Comment

I received our 1098 from Chase today. Hope all of yours come quickly.

Comment

Good to know, Tweeby. Is your load in default? Just curious if I should get mine, or only people who are current received them. Hopefully I will, I am ready to file!
                            Filed CH 7 10/14/09
                            341 11/18/09 DONE!
                            Discharged 1/19/10!

Comment

Not current in the mortgage at all. Chase is our 1st mortgage. They have not filed at the courthouse for foreclosure yet, they did ask for a relief of stay.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X