2 weeks in - already getting car loan offers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 weeks in - already getting car loan offers

We filed two weeks ago as of today. We were already getting very few collection calls and letters since we've been informing collectors of our pending bankruptcy for a very long time. Since we filed I've received exactly zero collection calls and three letters. The letters were dated just a day or two after the date of filing, so most likely the collectors simply hadn't gotten the notice yet.

However, yesterday we got two offers for a new car loan - explicitly stating that they work with people who have recently filed chapter 7.

If I DO get a collection call, I'll definitely bring it up - the car loan sharks are aware that we've filed, why aren't you?

The waiting is driving me nuts - I'm restricting my PACER checking to only once a day. Nothing has been filed since last week and that was just procedural business. 341 meeting in 9 days!

I don't think it's worth checking Pacer before your 341. I never started until after the 341.

Also, I've chucked all the car loan offers. The loan terms and such are not shown on the mail ads, but I'm sure they will be horrible once you go to their lot. We are in need of another vehicle, but are saving to buy one outright. The thought of getting a small loan for a little more expensive car is tempting, but I'm resisting so far. My range is around $3-$5k. Will buy once I found out how much of the 09 refund the trustee snatches (and what scraps I get leftover).
    Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

Don't respond to the car loans, the rates will be upwards of 15% or higher. What you do want to do is get a secured credit card and start rebuilding your credit. You can get these for as little as $250 at a credit union so try there first. Basically, you want to show after two years that you have been able to handle credit responsibily and that secured card will transfer to an unsecured card and you get your $250 back at the end. JUST DON'T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!

Comment

I have no intention of getting back into debt. My car is paid for, my wife's car will be paid off in just a few more months. I'm simply amused that the vulture dealerships are able to discover my bankruptcy before the vulture debt collectors.

Comment

Me too, fireworks!

I filed Monday (2/22), and received my first "fresh start program" letter in the mail Thursday. The date stamp on the envelope was 2/23. Talk about vultures circling, huh?! I just surrendered my car that I financed through a company who only finances to highest-risks, and I was paying 24.999% APR. I definitely don't want to do that again, let me tell you!!! Luckily I don't need a new car because I have a reliable one to use.

Comment

Those letters make for good kindling for your fireplace.
            New Orleans: Home to the World Champion Saints, the biggest enviromental disaster and the biggest natural disaster in the history of this nation. Proud to call it home!

Comment

Well, gee, didn't think of that LOL! I put it in my recycle bin with all the other junk mail. It's serious junk, those offers!
              Originally posted by LSUTiger32 View Post
              Those letters make for good kindling for your fireplace.

Comment

Those businesses are not feeling sorry for you because of your BK and trying to help you.. they are trying to scam you.
                Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

Originally posted by bethgould View Post
                  Well, gee, didn't think of that LOL! I put it in my recycle bin with all the other junk mail. It's serious junk, those offers!
                  Recycling works too!
                  New Orleans: Home to the World Champion Saints, the biggest enviromental disaster and the biggest natural disaster in the history of this nation. Proud to call it home!

Comment

As soon as you file your BK becomes public information which every auto dealership (and other lenders) seems to immediately obtain. Then your name gets on BK mailing lists which can be purchased by anyone. Just wait...

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X