Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authorized user question

Hi all,

Well, after struggling under a mountain of debt for the last couple of years, going on payment plans with the CCs that didn't really help, trying to find a second job in a town with 12% unemployment, and trying unsuccessfully to modify my mortgage, I finally admitted to myself that I have no choice, and filed for BK on Friday, March 19.

Unfortunately, I only remembered today that my sister is an authorized user on one of my credit cards (a VERY old one that I got when we were sharing an apartment together in the late 1980s).

Since I've already filed, is there anything I can do about this? I totally forgot she was even on the thing, since she never used it. Is there a way I can check my credit report to see authorized users? She's a very cool person and I don't want her credit to suffer because I'm such an irresponsible goob. What's the best way to handle this? I tried to look at my online credit card accounts but they're all locked, so I think they've been notified of my BK.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If she's just an authorized user rather than a co-debtor, and she's not even used it, I'd be surprised if there were any issue at all. Does it appear on her credit report?

Comment

Hi mtbc,

We just checked, and yes, it does show up on her credit report that she's an authorized user. If I understand what I've read correctly, the thing to do is to wait until my BK is over, and then check her score again, and if she gets dinged she calls Citibank and tells her that wasn't her account? Does that sound right?

The other thing I'm worried about is my car. I'm current on the payments, and planning on keeping it, but my auto loan is through Wells Fargo and I understand they're very nasty about BKs. Can they touch my car if I'm current on the payments and I'm re-affirming the loan? Or am I fretting over nothing?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X