341...What To Expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilacs80 View Post
    Thanks! So in the meantime, during this 60 days, are there things I should or should not buy? If I wanted to go on a mini vacation, can I do that? One of my best friends is expecting at the end of the month and I want to get her a really nice gift, is there a limit of how much I can spend?

The trustee also didn't ask us for bank statements. I know I've asked this a little earlier in the month about bank statements, but my atty got back to a couple of weeks ago telling me that I won't be needing to submit them. So he was right...we didn't need them.
    If you were planning to purchase a $100K Winnebago then I might advise you to wait just a little longer. Otherwise, you should live and enjoy your life. Buy your friend something nice for her shower and take your mini-vacation My wife and I are avid bargain hunters so we tend to take mini-vacations (usually a weekend away, within driving distance, found on Priceline, Hotwire or similar) fairly regularly. We are always responsible and work them into our budget. If memory serves me we took one such mini-vacation a couple weeks before I filed the case and 2 while the case was open.

As a side note, I never had to provide bank statements during my BK process. And even if a trustee were to request bank statements from someone, I'm pretty sure his interest would be uncovering assets, not scrutinizing how someone uses their debit card.
    4/2010 - Filed Chapter 7 no asset case w/car reaffirm
    5/2010 - 341 meeting, no creditors present
    10/2010 - Reaffirm finally approved and case discharged the same day

Comment

Originally posted by nceguyfromne View Post
      If you were planning to purchase a $100K Winnebago then I might advise you to wait just a little longer. Otherwise, you should live and enjoy your life. Buy your friend something nice for her shower and take your mini-vacation My wife and I are avid bargain hunters so we tend to take mini-vacations (usually a weekend away, within driving distance, found on Priceline, Hotwire or similar) fairly regularly. We are always responsible and work them into our budget. If memory serves me we took one such mini-vacation a couple weeks before I filed the case and 2 while the case was open.

As a side note, I never had to provide bank statements during my BK process. And even if a trustee were to request bank statements from someone, I'm pretty sure his interest would be uncovering assets, not scrutinizing how someone uses their debit card.
      I have a quick question for you. We always use priceline for when we took mini-vacations (w/in driving distance in our state) but can you use a debit card for this now, since we have no CC's to use?

thanks
      Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Originally posted by nceguyfromne View Post

Haha....thanks! For sure, the Winnebago will have to wait. =) I was just thinking exactly that...a mini weekend getaway, something of bargain, short and sweet. I think I can finally have a good night's sleep tonight!

Oh good! Most of the people's experiences I've read on this forum provided 3 months or 6 months worth of bank statements. So it's good to know to someone else also didn't need to provide bank statements.

Thanks again!

Have a great weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by Fallonedward View Post
          I have a quick question for you. We always use priceline for when we took mini-vacations (w/in driving distance in our state) but can you use a debit card for this now, since we have no CC's to use?

thanks
          Since you are simply prepaying in full for your vacation, Hotwire, Priceline etc do not care whether you use a credit or debit card to pay for it.

When it comes time to actually checking in at the hotel and placing a card on file for incidentals, each individual hotel will have its own policies on this. I have never known any hotel not to accept a debit card for incidentals, but they may place a small hold on your account (between $40 to $75 on average, I'd say) and the amount of time it takes for your funds to be released after checkout will vary by bank. My bank usually releases the funds within a couple days after checkout.

If any of your credit cards survived through your BK, I would probably recommend using a CC instead of a debit card at the hotel counter so you don't have to worry about funds potentially being held on your bank account. The only way they would charge your CC is if you used room service or rented a movie on the hotel TV and did not settle the balance using your debit card or cash before checking out. Sometimes with credit cards they won't even place a hold on the account at all, especially when your stay is already prepaid. My best advice is to inquire with the front desk at the hotel on their debit card policies so you will know exactly what to expect.

One aspect of your vacation that may present issues when using a debit card is renting a car. Most of the car rental companies have stiff policies about using a debit card. Most will allow it, but it involves a soft pull of your credit report and they usually charge a hefty deposit (refundable, of course) on top of the rental charges.

Best of luck!
          Last edited by nceguyfromne; 07-14-2010, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Here's a question that came to mind last night. I know that our bankruptcy is public record, what does this mean exactly? I know this will be on my credit report. How would someone find out that I am bankrupt or get a hold of this public record?

Comment

Originally posted by lilacs80 View Post
              Here's a question that came to mind last night. I know that our bankruptcy is public record, what does this mean exactly? I know this will be on my credit report. How would someone find out that I am bankrupt or get a hold of this public record?
              In addition to the obvious credit reporting aspect, your case is also a matter of public record with the bankruptcy court and on PACER.gov, which provides public online access to US Appellate, District, and Bankruptcy court cases. Using your name or case number, anyone with interest in you or your case can access all the information that was part of your case. We have used Pacer to look up information about my own case as well as someone else whose case had possible financial implications on my wife and me.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Most trustees as very similar questions to all of the people at the 341 hearing. Most of the standard questions include
                Have you ever filed for bankruptcy before?
                Did you list all of your creditors?
                Did you list all of your assets?
                Did you sign the schedules and statements filed with the court?
                Is everything in the schedules and statements true and correct?
                For most people your 341 hearing is very quick. This page provides a lot of details about the 341 Hearing
                deleted by moderator

Comment

Originally posted by scla View Post
                  Most trustees as very similar questions to all of the people at the 341 hearing. Most of the standard questions include
                  Have you ever filed for bankruptcy before?
                  Did you list all of your creditors?
                  Did you list all of your assets?
                  Did you sign the schedules and statements filed with the court?
                  Is everything in the schedules and statements true and correct?
                  For most people your 341 hearing is very quick. This page provides a lot of details about the 341 Hearing
                  Thanks! They asked me all those questions at my hearing plus a couple of more questions not listed.

Comment

So here's a little quick update on my case. At my 341 hearing, the trustee found a mistake in my SSN on my bk papers. My atty's office had inverted the numbers and I didn't catch the mistake either when I was signing. Anyways, my atty has to submit an amendment to correct my SSN which I was told that is no big deal. We received a letter from the trustee that he decided to continue our case and scheduled to re-appear at the beginning of August, mainly because of the mistake with my SSN. Only the trustee can dismiss us from appearing for the hearing and I was told by my atty, as long as we submit all the necessary documents to correct the SSN, I will be dismissed from the August hearing. My atty was very quick with amendment so it's been signed and submitted to the trustee. I just followed up my atty this morning as to whether I was dismissed or not. I have should hear from the trustee a week before the hearing if I'm dismissed. I guess I have to check back next week! I hope all goes well and I get dismissed. I'm dreading the thought of having to re-appear. The first time was nerve-wrecking enough!

Comment

Originally posted by Fallonedward View Post

thanks
                      We've used a debit card for Priceline for a couple years now, works great.

Comment

Originally posted by poormama View Post
                        We've used a debit card for Priceline for a couple years now, works great.
                        When you check in at the hotel, do they require a certain amount on your debit card to check in?

The reason I ask is my son's team just made the play-offs and he has been voted on to play in the upcoming game in Grand Rapids in August. thanks
                        Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Well, we've always booked rooms with our debit card but had credit cards when we check in. Our trip to VA this past June was the first time we checked in with a debit card and they didn't put a hold on any money. When we put credit cards as check in, I always told them that I wanted to pay cash when we checked out. It might be different with each hotel.

Priceline is a great tool for cars and hotels. We've saved a lot of money - well, obviously not too much if we're filing.

Comment

I've used my debit card to check in when I visited Washington state last year, and they did put a hold for a certain amount in case there were damages to the room or what not. The hold lasted up to a week after we checked out. I guess if you factor in the hold (just in case they do put a hold), then it wouldn't put a damper over your spending budget while you're on your trip. It's a bummer when it's unexpected and the amount for the hold hasn't been budgeted in. I had no idea that the hotel was going to hold the funds, and up to a week at that....so our budget tightened up really fast after checking in.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X