top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been Served should I go to court or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blockhead
    replied
    Originally posted by sofargone View Post
    Jenbow, what state are you in? I am in Illinois where I didn't have to file an answer. If you must file an answer, deny everything ecept your name and address of course. Make them prove that you owe the debt. Admit nothing. A good response might be: Defendant lacks sufficient evidence.. Denied.
    Or "I cannot affirm or deny based on the information provided". At least that's what my attorney told me to say. Make sure it is filed on or before the date due and get a copy stamped by the court. Check the 'rules for civil procedure' in your state. You should also send a copy certified mail to the law firm that issued the summons.

Leave a comment:

• sofargone
    replied
    Jenbow, what state are you in? I am in Illinois where I didn't have to file an answer. If you must file an answer, deny everything ecept your name and address of course. Make them prove that you owe the debt. Admit nothing. A good response might be: Defendant lacks sufficient evidence.. Denied.

Leave a comment:

• jenbow
    replied
    Originally posted by blockhead View Post
    I'd file an answer with the court. I cannot affirm or deny type response. There are examples on this forum. This should kick the ball down the road a few months.
    where would I find some samples of the answers to a civil claim suit? We got served last night too.

Leave a comment:

• ryan
    replied
    Good For you!....you have to look at each event as a small win, imo.

Leave a comment:

• sofargone
    replied
    Went to court, there was no fee. Case is being continued.

Leave a comment:

• sofargone
    replied
    Appearance fee?

The court wants to charge you a fee to defend yourself? Gotta love that.

You should file an answer along with a motion to waive fees because you are insolvent.
    I know! Can you believe that? I'm going to show and I'll let you all know what hhappens.

Leave a comment:

• johnnycakes
    replied
    Appearance fee?

The court wants to charge you a fee to defend yourself? Gotta love that.

You should file an answer along with a motion to waive fees because you are insolvent.

Leave a comment:

• sofargone
    replied
    I'd file an answer with the court. I cannot affirm or deny type response. There are examples on this forum. This should kick the ball down the road a few months.
    I would deny everything, I am just wondering should I pay the fee? That's $100.00 that could go to my lawyer to file.

Leave a comment:

• sofargone
    replied
    Why are you afriad of a default judgment?
    The debt creating the judgment will be discharged in your bk. You and your lawyer then can go back to the court that returned the judgment and get in vacated.
    Worried they will come after bank accounts etc... It will probably take me 6 months to pay my lawyer to file. They wont file until paid in full.

Leave a comment:

• blockhead
    replied
    Originally posted by sofargone View Post
    Sorry I am new to all of this...

I was served with a summons a couple of weeks ago and have a return date this week. I am on the fence about showing up or not because.. 1. I would have to pay an appearance fee of over $100.00 and 2. I may loose anyway.

I met with a BK attorney last week and paid them a retainer. They sent a letter to this attorney saying that they are preparing to file BK for me. It is going to take me a few months to pay this attorney in full and I would rather have the $100.00 appearance fee go to the attorney instead of the court BUT I am scared to death of letting them get a default judgement against me..
    any advice is greatly appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• keepmine
    replied
    Why are you afriad of a default judgment?
    The debt creating the judgment will be discharged in your bk. You and your lawyer then can go back to the court that returned the judgment and get in vacated.

Leave a comment:

• sofargone
    started a topic Been Served should I go to court or not?

Been Served should I go to court or not?

Sorry I am new to all of this...

I was served with a summons a couple of weeks ago and have a return date this week. I am on the fence about showing up or not because.. 1. I would have to pay an appearance fee of over $100.00 and 2. I may loose anyway.

I met with a BK attorney last week and paid them a retainer. They sent a letter to this attorney saying that they are preparing to file BK for me. It is going to take me a few months to pay this attorney in full and I would rather have the $100.00 appearance fee go to the attorney instead of the court BUT I am scared to death of letting them get a default judgement against me..
    any advice is greatly appreciated.

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X