Confused about discharged versus closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused about discharged versus closed

Filed chapter 7 on October 16, 2005. Had my 341 meeting on December 29, 2005. Last date for objections is February 27, 2006 *counting the hours and sweating bullets.* Am confused on the difference between discharged and closed. Any help appreciated and pardon my ignorance.

Filed: 10/16/05
    341: 12/29/05
    Last day for objections: 02/27/06
    Discharged: 03/06/06
    Closed: 03/17/06

Post Discharge Credit:
    Crown Jewelers - 500 - 04/06
    Hooter's MC - 1000 - 04/06
    Capitol One - 300 - 05/06
    Target Red Card - 200 - 05/06

Discharged means your creditors did not object to your filing. However the court may still seek to obtain some money from you. Not likely. But if you go on TV and win a million on survivor, chances are the court will find out and try to collect from you. Closed is closed. Court has completed your case.
    Last edited by FilingOnMyOwn; 02-01-2006, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks

Can I just say that you folks are great and a wealth of information. So many areas of confusion when I try to research on my own, but I come here, and voila...lots of big brains out there.

Thank you all.

Filed: 10/16/05
      341: 12/29/05
      Last day for objections: 02/27/06
      Discharged: 03/06/06
      Closed: 03/17/06

Post Discharge Credit:
      Crown Jewelers - 500 - 04/06
      Hooter's MC - 1000 - 04/06
      Capitol One - 300 - 05/06
      Target Red Card - 200 - 05/06

Comment

Big brains? Oh, you mean BK Filer?

He barks alot, but I don't think he bites....I dunno but I am not willing to put it to the test

Comment

brains? there aint no brains here. we just tell you what a judge we got tied up in the back explains to us. we beat him until we get the perfect answer.
          Im not an attorney or a trustee. You cant trust me either though!

[x] - Done with 341? Join the 60 Day Club! ___________[x] - Im Discharged! Whoo Hooo!
          [x] - Poll: Should I File Pro-Se ____________________[x] - New BK Law: Median Income, Means Testing and Presumptive Abuse
          [x] - Zombie Debt Collectors Dig Up Your Old Mistakes _-[x] - Bankruptcy Law Resource
          [x] - Need A Fast Answer? Available 24/7!--__________[x] - Dont Be A Hero On Your Budget - You Wont Get An Award!

Comment

Discharged means your debts are gone, closed means that the court is either not going after any assets or they have already gotten to them.
            Most of my information is from personal experience or HOURS and HOURS of online research. When you're searching online, keep in mind there is no guarantee that the info is completely up to date, and your situation is unique from anyone else's. Do your homework, and consult with an attorney so you can make an informed decision.

Comment

I'm wondering if, after Debtor receives a discharge, will the Chapter 7 case remain open during an Adversary Proceeding?

Comment

Actually, there's a very good sticky on this topic from one of our Moderators... HHM.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I filed in May 09, AP entered 1 day prior to discharge in Oct 09. The original BK case is still open, the AP has a different case #. I think because the AP was mentioned in the original BK, that both will remain open until the 'end'.

Comment

Originally posted by TurnThePage View Post
                    I'm wondering if, after Debtor receives a discharge, will the Chapter 7 case remain open during an Adversary Proceeding?
                    Yes. The AP/complaint is directly tied to the case, and administratively the case remains open.
                    Last edited by justbroke; 12-04-2009, 07:15 AM.
                    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks Lookadat & justbroke for the replies. Yeah, I figured somehow they were linked together because there is a requirement of also having to serve the Bankruptcy Trustee in an AP, even though it is technically a separate mini-lawsuit by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by TurnThePage View Post
                        a separate mini-lawsuit by itself
                        ... contained within the Bankruptcy case.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X