Would it be wise for my wife to accept a job during Ch 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would it be wise for my wife to accept a job during Ch 7

Hello, we are filing later this week for CH 7. We are just under the median income level by about $2k. My wife has been unable to find a job which is the biggest reason for us having to file. She filled out a ton of applications out with the expectation that I was going to get a much higher paying job, but that fell through last week. If by some chance she is called in the next couple months, should she accept a job? Is there a certain point in the process like after the trustee meeting that it would be safe? We could really use the extra cash right now, but don't want to screw anything up, thank you.

I am by no means a lawyer but from my understanding once you file the case is a look back and not forward unless you win the lotto or you come into an inheritance. If she can land a job in this economy, I would take it. My wife is in the same boat but my income is over the median already.

Comment

Originally posted by keystone58 View Post
      Hello, we are filing later this week for CH 7. We are just under the median income level by about $2k. My wife has been unable to find a job which is the biggest reason for us having to file. She filled out a ton of applications out with the expectation that I was going to get a much higher paying job, but that fell through last week. If by some chance she is called in the next couple months, should she accept a job? Is there a certain point in the process like after the trustee meeting that it would be safe? We could really use the extra cash right now, but don't want to screw anything up, thank you.
      Bankruptcy considers past, not future income. As long as your last 6 months of income are within the Means Test when you file then you are fine. Even if your wife finds a job (and gets paid) before you file, a paycheck or two shouldn't put you over the top. Once you've filed you won't be asked to compute your income again.
      4/2010 - Filed Chapter 7 no asset case w/car reaffirm
      5/2010 - 341 meeting, no creditors present
      10/2010 - Reaffirm finally approved and case discharged the same day

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X