top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why reaffirming a mortgage is a very, very bad idea.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sh9730 View Post
    Bottom line is you get the benefits of keeping the house without the liability.
    That pretty much sums it up - which brings us back to the title of this thread.
    Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
    FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
    FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

Originally posted by babsy View Post
      I got a modification on the property not too long ago with a 2% interest rate with BAC for 5 years which makes my payment affordable..
      Sounds like a HAMP (which is - in 9 out of 10 times - a good deal for the borrower).
      Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.

Comment

Originally posted by babsy View Post
        I'm also currently in the process of filing bk. My bankrupcty attorney said she WOULDN'T let me reaffirm my primary home and I'm a little disappointed. My thoughts are if you are paying for it why not get credit for it. I'm also scared the lender can forclose at anytime they choose to. I'm very confused and can't seem to decide. My attorney would allow me to reaffirm my car but not the mortgage. If I don't reaffirm, is the title still in my name, can you write off the interest and taxes at the end of the year. I got a modification on the property not too long ago with a 2% interest rate with BAC for 5 years which makes my payment affordable and don't want to loose the home even though I don't have any equity in the home. I plan on staying in the home for a long time. Also I don't know if there is any provision in the modification contract about bk.
        If you sell the property in the near future what happens? Any advise would be great. I'm new at this and need help.
        Can you ever refinance in the near future 7 years from now or so.
        In addition to sh9730 comments, there is one other thing you may want to consider if there is ANY chance you will not keep the house. Abandoning it to the lender during BK gets a pending foreclosure off your back immediately. That means that you will be able to acquire a loan on a another home sooner than if you drag it out for several years and end up defaulting on it anyway. That is one of the things my wife and I struggled with.

We decided to pay to stay at first, but have stopped paying since then, and we are now 6 months into pocketing the cash with no Notice of Default Filed toward official foreclosure proceedings. The up side to this of course is that we are able to take care of other things like getting our new car paid down more quickly etc., but every month of delay is another month added to when we will again be able to purchase another home. It's a smaller trade-off for us because our VA guarantee (that wasn't on the discharged loan) kicks back in after 2 years post-foreclosure, but it is also making us edgy looking around at all of the housing in our area that is now priced back where it should be and interest rates that are unprecedentedly low.

Either way, reaffirming does absolutely NOTHING to improve the outcome no matter which route you choose to go.

I should add that our mortgage company however is again negotiating with us for modification (which is technically a totally new note given the discharge), although their terms so far are completely laughable. So until they get serious about making a fair business deal, we will continue to pocket our payments.
        Chapter 7 Filed 1/4/11
        Discharged No-asset 4/1/11
        And definitely NOT an attorney.

Comment

Snax,

I loan MODIFICATION is not a completely new loan. My loan was modified AFTER discharge, but it is the same loan number, just adjusting the terms of THAT loan. I am still not liable for any defiency should I default (although in my state its no recourse so it wouldnt really apply anyway). NOW, a REFINANCE is a different story. THAT is a new loan and all of the protections go away....but if you get a good offer for a modification, dont let any worry you would be back on the hook for the loan be a concern. Mine, and others I have heard about in this situation all have language similar to "if this loan was discharged in BK there is no personal liability for the loan etc.etc.".

There was a seperate thread here just recently about how a discharged mortage loan cannot be reaffirmed later and how a MODIFICATION is still the same loan as far as BK protections are concerned.

Comment

Hi all, Just talked to Bank of America about a mod and thought Id share. We are 1 year past chapter 7, house was not affirmed as it was/is 100K upside down. Thought we would ask for a mod since interest is 6.5, don't really care if we stay in house or not. Bank rep said all I had to do was get attorney and remove house from BK and reaffirm, and then they would see if they could drop the interest rate a couple of points. HA! I asked if they couldn't modify anything without me doing that and she said BA doesn't do anything if the mortgage isn't reaffirmed. I think we are going to have to rent and give it back to them, I am not putting the hook back into my mouth on this house. We are current and will stay current until we move out. thanks to all for the helpful information you have given us the last 2 years!

Comment

LarryT -

Two points.

First, if you really are going to leave, AND the mortgage was discharged, why keep paying? You can use the money you save over those months to help you with new place to live or have a nice cushion in place for emergencies.

Next, that BofA response really surprises me...I think you spoke to someone who doesnt know what they are talking about....I have read numerous stories on other forums where BofA has done mods with BK loans. I also believe that if you request a HAMP modification package they MUST review it, and the HAMP guidelines specifically say you cannot be denied because of BK. I would try again.

Probably any further discussion on the specifics of a mod after BK should be in a different thread though since this one actually is supposed to be about whether to reaffirm or not.

Comment

thx 9730,

i posted cause there are many on this thread discussing this, and just to show how stupid some BofA reps are, I know they do mods after BK, as most banks do, they were hoping I didn't know that apparently. when daughter graduates, and couple more things are taken care of, they will get the house quickly. the point is do not reaffirm, if it is cleared and you stop paying they can (but probably wont)
                faster.

Comment

Thanks sh9730 and also thanks to all for the good input on this subject matter. One question is would you still be receiving your mortgate statement reflecting payments are made. I read on another trend that the statement has for information purpose only noted on it.

Comment

Originally posted by larryt View Post
                    Bank rep said all I had to do was get attorney and remove house from BK and reaffirm, and then they would see if they could drop the interest rate a couple of points. HA!
                    That is really funny. I'd love to see how a debt can be "removed from Bankruptcy" and I'd also love to see a judge approving such a reaffirmation -which, IMO, is impossible to get after discharge in the first place.

And if you want to move out once you found a new place to rent, stop making payments. Staying current until you move out is a waste of money.

Comment

Babsy,

Yes I still get a statement every month and can access all my account information online....so I can see my balance go down every month just like always, as well as see where my escrow payments go etc.... There are disclaimers on all the paperwork saying "if discharged in BK no liability etc...".

If your desire is to stay in the house, just keep paying and dont reaffirm. You ll be fine.

Comment

THx IB, I enjoy your posts!

Comment

Originally posted by larryt View Post
                          THx IB, I enjoy your posts!
                          You're welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by IBroke View Post
                            That is really funny. I'd love to see how a debt can be "removed from Bankruptcy" and I'd also love to see a judge approving such a reaffirmation -which, IMO, is impossible to get after discharge in the first place.
                            Your opinion is easy to support with fact. 11 USC 524(c)(1) is clear that a reaffirmation is only enforceable if the agreement is reached before discharge. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/us...4----000-.html
                            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thanks

Comment

All, If your mortgage is not reaffirmed and you keep up with the payments is there a possibility of refinancing in the future 2 to 5 years later? Also If refinancing is possible after a chapter 7 is the new mortgage indicated on on your creidt report ?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X