Losing my pets during bankruptcy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing my pets during bankruptcy?

I am preparing to file BK7 in the coming months. I have two pets, a 10 year old cat I rescued from a shelter as a kitten and a 5 year old Dalmatian that I paid a few hundreds dollars for. Do they even ask if I own pets? Would they be listed as an asset? If so, can they be taken from me?
    BK7 - Discharged May 2011

You will have to list your pets on Schedule C. However, from what I have found, pets in Illinois can be exempted under the personal property wildcard. It probably won't be an issue.
    Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Epic View Post
      I am preparing to file BK7 in the coming months. I have two pets, a 10 year old cat I rescued from a shelter as a kitten and a 5 year old Dalmatian that I paid a few hundreds dollars for. Do they even ask if I own pets? Would they be listed as an asset? If so, can they be taken from me?
      i don't think the trustee wants your pets
      Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
      Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
      Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

Dont even worry about it, I have 4 dogs, my lawyer said unless they are showdogs it is a non-issue. I did list them on the form I gave to my lawyer, but I never put any value on them.

Comment

Originally posted by scorpion35 View Post
          i don't think the trustee wants your pets
          No, but he/she may ask about them, in case they are show animals or breeding animals. Here in Florida, we had to list our pets, three cats--all rescued strays--and give a dollar value. Of course, they are family members, and so a priceless, but to put something in the blank, we listed $1.00. The trustee asked about them, and I answered "three cats; two American Domestic shorthairs, and one American Domestic longhair--all rescued strays". And that was that.
          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Hi all,

Here in Colo I did not list any pets and was never asked about it. But....I'm not in Florida....

Tom in Colo
            Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

You are unable to pay basic expenese, yet you have pets to feed?

Comment

Heck, we got three dropped off cats. I attempted to pay the Trustee to take them. He refused and paid me to keep them. Anyone want a cat? 'Hub
                If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by DaddyDavid View Post
                  My friend, all seriousness aside. Are you kidding? Have you children? If so, why? You are in bk. You should have thought about that before your children. Perhaps you can get Social Services to take them on. You cannot afford them.
                  If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Seriously?

Comment

I think the one thing that is so important on this forum is that we are NOT here to judge others. For whatever reason any of us files, it's not up to the others to point fingers or make negative remarks about our circumstances. I for one would rather see people keeping their pets and paying that expense rather than dumping their pets at the nearest shelter or worse.
                      Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

It is my opinion that a 10 year old rescued cat, and an old 5 year dalmatian dog, is not a worthy asset to be concerned with.

If you have had a cat that long and a dog that long, you would feed your own food before you eat for yourself. The cat if younger would never starve, but elderly that cat is on its last leg so to speak and needs love. The dog is part of the family. It can eat scraps. I'm not sure what goes into some peoples mind before they engage their mouth or QWERTY board.

I hope that comment was a joke or just some careless off the wall mistake.

My post was obviously kidding about our three cats and yes we put them down with value of one buck. No takers. They cost us very little but give us love and pleasure. What the hell is life all about if you don't have a bit of joy and love? Just my opinion, nothing more. 'Hub

Comment

I hadn't even thought of this as a concern. Our 2 cats are pure-bred Siamese, but they aren't show quality. We only paid about $125 for them 6 1/2 years ago, but obviously they don't appreciate in value! May have to ask our attorney just to make sure.

Comment

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13 View Post
                            I hadn't even thought of this as a concern. Our 2 cats are pure-bred Siamese, but they aren't show quality. We only paid about $125 for them 6 1/2 years ago, but obviously they don't appreciate in value! May have to ask our attorney just to make sure.
                            Unless your pet is equal to a "Secretariat" or or show animal, most are not worth anything and are used to their current owners.

From what I have seen in the past in this type of thing, it is my opinion now to drop the subject as the OP has been responded to well. I don't want to see another flame thread. Let's drop the subject that has been well addressed. My opinion. 'Hub

Comment

Problem easily solved on schedule C. List the pet as an asset, and then, immediately following, list the multiple bottles of carpet cleaner you need to keep on hand for when the pet has "little accidents." That'll make the trustee think twice even if he DID want to take them. (Which, as has been said, he won't, unless they're show animals.)
                              This post does not constitute legal advice. If you use my advice in place of a lawyer, God help you.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X