authorized user on credit card???? chapter 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

authorized user on credit card???? chapter 7

Today we met with our attorney to sign our paperwork, he is submitting our Ch 7 this week. One question that he had a hard time answering was about a credit card from Chase. I was an authorized user on my parents card up until about a month ago when they took me off on the advice of our attorney. My husband never was a user on that card. The issue is that card belongs to my parents and it is showing up on my credit report. I checked again today. The numbers on the 3 cards are exactly the same. As I said I was just a user. It is not listed on the bankruptcy forms as they want to keep their card, their airline miles, and the card is paid in full every month. What can we/they expect with this card? Are they going to lose their miles, thier perfect credit etc?

thanks!
    chrissy

Originally posted by chrissy92972 View Post
    Today we met with our attorney to sign our paperwork, he is submitting our Ch 7 this week. One question that he had a hard time answering was about a credit card from Chase. I was an authorized user on my parents card up until about a month ago when they took me off on the advice of our attorney. My husband never was a user on that card. The issue is that card belongs to my parents and it is showing up on my credit report. I checked again today. The numbers on the 3 cards are exactly the same. As I said I was just a user. It is not listed on the bankruptcy forms as they want to keep their card, their airline miles, and the card is paid in full every month. What can we/they expect with this card? Are they going to lose their miles, thier perfect credit etc?

thanks!
    chrissy
    nope
    card doesn't belong to u
    Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
    Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
    Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

I actually did a dispute to the credit agencies just the other day, after pulling my husband off my cards as an authorized user, within two days these disappeared off of his credit report.
      Hired Attorney 8/28/10 Filed Chapter 7 11/08/10 341 12/14/2010 Report of NO DISTRIBUTION 12/15/2010 Waiting for February 14 2011, date objections due.
      DISCHARGED and CLOSED 2/15/2011

Comment

thank you for your help, I feel better about it.

Comment

Dittos here. I was an authorized user on 4 of my wife's cards. When we were planning our CH7, we called to remove me from all 4. Three of the 4 dropped off the next month, the 4th I had to file an online dispute and it was then removed. The good thing about it - my credit file doesn't show the late payments or the BK'd acct. now.

-AA
          Stopped paying CCs 1/10 | Stopped paying mortgages 2/10 | Interviewed attorneys 3/10-5/10 | Retained attorney 5/14/10 | Delivered paperwork to attorney 6/17/10 | Filed Ch7 7/9/10 | 341 8/16/10 | Objection Deadline 10/15/10 | DISCHARGED 10/20/10

Comment

My husband is an authorized user on two of my cards which I haven't removed him from because I was initially told it wouldn't affect him since he's not the owner of the account.

When I file BK, hopefully and likely Chapter 7, are we going to have an issue with anything showing up on his credit report and if so, what do I do? I think Amex and Citi told me long ago that they only report on me to the credit bureau, not him.

Comment

Well the ones my husband was on as an authorized user sure were showing up on his credit report, and they showed right at the top with the notation that they could be a negative factor. We have fraud alerts on his credit files due to some issues from this last year, so every time something new pops up we get an email. I disputed Chase on equifax first, the very next day it was popping up on transunion as a new account for him, so I disputed that as well and it was pulled the next day.

We are not filing until Nov 9th, so I am trying to be proactive and calling these companies to remove my husband as an authorized user before they close access to me and I may have a harder time getting things done at that point.

I was able to remove my husband as an authorized user at BOA credit card online with a chat session, Chase I emailed from within my account, told them I knew I was behind but needed to remove my husband, they responded that this would not affect my husbands credit reports, but they would remove him, and that was when that particular file showed up on transunion as a negative, but like I said it was easily taken care of then with a dispute to transunion.

I am a coward and hate talking to them on the phone so this made my stress level a bit easier.
              Hired Attorney 8/28/10 Filed Chapter 7 11/08/10 341 12/14/2010 Report of NO DISTRIBUTION 12/15/2010 Waiting for February 14 2011, date objections due.

Comment

I've read where it's not a good idea to alert these companies to anything. I didn't remove my husband as an authorized user because I felt that would raise a red flag in many ways and they'd know something was up. Of course when I missed the first payment they'd know something was up!

*Should I go online* and send an email to remove my husband as an authorized user? (If I can still get in which I should.)
                Since I've missed payments, wouldn't that possibly prompt them to possibly speed up something like those judgements? (As one forum member said he received something after immediately after 90 days from one card company.)

This is Citi and Amex. (About three months ago I *didn't* call in to activate his new Amex card but Citi is still active.)

What should I do? And, although I'm an authorized user on his BofA card and they told me that it wouldn't affect him, should I go ahead and call BofA and ask them to remove me now? I suppose so, eh?

Comment

I only did this now as we are so close to filing, my accounts were already behind by two months. I am on my husbands Amex as an authorized user as well, which is our biggest creditor so I am steering really clear of them until we file, plus I read things are more complicated with them. I don't have citi card. I did tell chase online that I knew I was behind and it was showing up on my husbands credit report, and while I was working on getting things taken care of, I did not want this to affect him. They were much kinder online, than the daily calls I was getting from their collectors.

I just figured it may help clean things up a little easier after we are done with everything, leaving a few less cards on each of our credit reports to deal with.

Comment

If I was to send msg online, I'd thought of telling the two of them that *I was working on it* just so that I could request he be removed. Ugh....I don't know what to do now but I'm not going to make a decision on that immediately. I can't file until Dec so maybe I can wait. But I do need to call BofA for his acct.

This is going to be churning in my mind now.

Comment

If you are including a card in your chapter 7 filing that your husband is an authorized user on, then the "included in bankruptcy" notation will show up on his report. He will have to dispute it off his reports. Since he is not the owner of the card, that will not be an issue.
                      You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

I take it that it's not that hard of a thing to do to get that "included in bankruptcy" off? You know what? I think that Citi and Amex both told me that it's only me that's reported to the credit bureau (during the period that I wasn't late, of course) and they don't report anything of him since he's not signed the contract in the beginning, only me as *owner.* Is that possible. Why do they need to put that on his record just to have to request it removed?

And it would be removed by requesting, right?

Comment

Originally posted by platter View Post
                          I take it that it's not that hard of a thing to do to get that "included in bankruptcy" off? You know what? I think that Citi and Amex both told me that it's only me that's reported to the credit bureau (during the period that I wasn't late, of course) and they don't report anything of him since he's not signed the contract in the beginning, only me as *owner.* Is that possible. Why do they need to put that on his record just to have to request it removed?

And it would be removed by requesting, right?
                          The status of the card is reported for all adult authorized users of the cards. It can be disputed off as "not mine" and the credit bureaus will remove it. Sometimes ymmv since credit bureaus often don't remove things on the first request. It would be easier to remove him from your card first and then have him dispute it.
                          You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Hi all,

Couple thoughts:

Never underestimate the ability of credit reporting bureaus to get things screwed up. If at first you don't succeed, use letters and keep trying.

If you are in a community property state, removing the authorized user for spouse is uneccessary. The debt is discharged for the community, including spouse.

Good luck all!

Tom in Colo
                            Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

There are two different issues in this thread. The OP refers to being an AU on parents CC. That shouldn't be an issue at all, and the OPs filing should not affect the card.

Platter's situation is different. In that case, you want to get the AU user off the account prior to filing. There has been a lot of controversy regarding authorized user accounts in the scoring models. When you are married...it's different. They can report and the information can be used in the score. Although it won't be a legal issue, and the AU can dispute and have it removed, if another creditor pulls their report and sees late payments, IIB, or a drop in credit score, they could close the account and cause further score damage.

This link has more info.

Last edited by SunshineGal; 10-28-2010, 05:14 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X