top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can individual filer claim expenses for 2 cars in means?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can individual filer claim expenses for 2 cars in means?

can an individual filer who owns 2 cars claim 2 vehicle expenses in the means test?

the us trustee says individual filers can only claim one...but others claim it isn't stated like that in the code???

i can't pass the means without being able to claim both vehicle expenses?

only 1
    Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
    Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
    Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

I'd say this... if 1 is a business-only vehicle which is exclusively dedicated to said business (a carpet-cleaning van, for instance) you MIGHT get it through as a tools of the trade exemption... with a sharp attorney... and an understanding Trustee... and a LOT of documentation... and only since it is almost Christmas... and only if the Trustee likes Christmas and wears a red suit... and...

Two personal vehicles? Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by fredh View Post
        can an individual filer who owns 2 cars claim 2 vehicle expenses in the means test?

the us trustee says individual filers can only claim one...but others claim it isn't stated like that in the code???

i can't pass the means without being able to claim both vehicle expenses?
        No, not unless you are married and your spouse uses the other car. I don't know who the "others" are that you are referring to. Perhaps ask the "others" for pertinent case law in your district to support your position. Otherwise you can say bye bye to claiming expenses for 2 vehicles.
        Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
        I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X