Attempt to collect discharged debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attempt to collect discharged debt

Quick background, filed Ch. 7 April 2010, received discharge July 2010. Included was an old cable tv bill for $191.00. Received a letter today from a collector, the basic collection letter, giving us 30 days to dispute the validity etc.

Not sure where to go from here, do I have to prove to them the debt is not collectable or should I just ignore this letter, file it away until they try to sue us and then nail them or what? This isn't something I expected and really don't want to have to deal with. I thought this process was over and done

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it

I would call them or send them a letter telling them it was discharged and give them your case#. They can always claim they did not know until you inform them. You also do not want to have to go through the trouble of having it removed from your credit report someday too.

Comment

Send by certified mail, with return receipt, a letter telling this CA, that the debt is noncollectable, and why that is. Send also a copy of your Discharge Order along with it. You may have to do this again each time the debt is sold to another CA. We are having this problem with a zombie telephone bill.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Scan in a copy of page 1 of your discharge, save it as a pdf. Whenever you get a letter, go to www.gotfreefax.com . Fax them a copy of your discharge (put your client # or whatever identifying number they give you in the "subject" field). If it's not too difficult, you could scan a copy of their letter along with your discharge and fax that.

Certified Mail RR is probably the best answer, but it costs time and money. My way will probably probably give you similar results; if they keep hounding you, then you can go the Certified Mail route.
        Standard disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. I am an idiot. Do not take my advice. I am not responsible for what happens if you blindly follow an idiot's advice. Blah blah and more legal stuff.

Comment

I always recommend the certified mail, return receipt route, because the postal service is a method that the courts recognize. Yes, it is a bit of a hassle and costs some time and money you really would prefer to put elsewhere. Also the CAs themselves want to be contacted by mail within 30 days if you 'deny or dispute the validity of this debt.' And it is rewarding when the signed green card comes back to you.

The information about the free fax service is valuable, though. Thank you.
          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

This is just one of those things that happen sometimes. Dispute the debt by sending them a copy of your discharge. They will close it and go away.
            All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
            Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll get a letter drafted and sent to them.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X