Background check/new job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Background check/new job

I filed bankruptcy in october. I applied for a job at a court house and was offered the position but they need to complete a doj & fbi background check. Would this disqualify me? Will my bk show up?

if they do a financial background check it will show up. whether it will determine whether they will hire you, will be up to them . i hope it will all go well for you!
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

mellisa, from what my atty says for people who need "serious" security clearances (and it sounds like you have a BACKGROUND check not security clearance) a BK is generally NO problem - it's done - out in the open - you don't owe $$ any more and went through the "court" system - if you owe tons of $$, etc., that - I am told - is the "red" flag.

AND OF COURSE BEST WISHES and FINGERS CROSSED!

Comment

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
        mellisa, from what my atty says for people who need "serious" security clearances (and it sounds like you have a BACKGROUND check not security clearance) a BK is generally NO problem - it's done - out in the open - you don't owe $$ any more and went through the "court" system - if you owe tons of $$, etc., that - I am told - is the "red" flag.

AND OF COURSE BEST WISHES and FINGERS CROSSED!
        that's good to know! one would think in today's world that it isunusualnusal to see a bk on someone's record.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Thanks for the info I hope everything works out for me. It will not be "security clearance" though.....all she said was FBI & DOJ checks.....I'm not sure what those are though. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by MELLISSAMM View Post
            all she said was FBI & DOJ checks.....I'm not sure what those are though. Fingers crossed!
            Sounds like they are looking for a criminal record.

Congratulations on the job!
            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Well, I just found out that they will be conducting a credit check. I let the HR Manager know that I have recently filed for bankruptcy. She said "it shouldn't be a problem". Hoping for the best.........

Comment

Fingers crossed!!! And by the way - that is really really ridiculous!!!!

Comment

Well, I just found out that they will be conducting a credit check. I let the HR Manager know that I have recently filed for bankruptcy. She said "it shouldn't be a problem". Hoping for the best.........
                  that't GREAT news!!!! congrats on this new job! you got it!

Comment

Well, I don't think I got the job because of my bankruptcy. They pulled my credit report and asked why I even filed BK since I owed nothing. All my creditors adjusted my balances to 0 a few weeks after the petition was filed. The foreclosure is still on there though. I'm supposed to meet with the HR person today to discuss my credit report today (per her request). I don't even know what to say. This week is full of stress. I also have my creditor's meeting on Friday. Too much going on.

Comment

Mellisa, that's unreal...BY THE WAY - CA actually prohibits most employers from asking for credit reports now...of course exempting your potential job...that's just so mind-numbingly stupid.

Here is the CA law...just in case...

Purpose of California Employers Requesting Credit History Reports
                      for Employment Purposes
                      California law requires employers to identify the specific purpose for requesting a credit
                      history report relative to the applicant’s employment application. (Cal. Civ. Code §
                      1785.20.5; Cal. Labor Code § 1024.5). Under California law, employers may only use
                      consumer credit reports in one of eight circumstances, unless the employer is a person or
                      business subject both to Sections 6801 through 6809 of Title 15 of the United States
                      Code and compliance oversight by a state or federal regulatory agency with respect to
                      those laws.
                      Employer will check the appropriate box or boxes below to identify the specific purpose
                      of this request, and Applicant will acknowledge with his or her signature at the bottom of
                      this form.
                      A credit history report has been requested in connection with Applicant’s employment
                      application because the position for which the Applicant has applied is:
                      □ A managerial position
                      □ A position in the state Department of Justice
                      □ A sworn peace officer or other law enforcement position
                      □ A position for which the information contained in the report is required by
                      law to be disclosed or obtained
                      □ A position involves regular access to specified personal information for any
                      purpose other than routine solicitation and processing of credit card
                      applications in a retail establishment, including bank or credit card account
                      information, social security number, and date of birth
                      □ A position in which the applicant/employee is or would be a named signatory
                      on the employer’s bank or credit card account, or authorized to transfer
                      money or enter into financial contracts on the employer’s behalf
                      □ A position that involves access to confidential or proprietary information, as
                      specified in California Labor Code section 1024.5(a)(7)
                      □ Position involves regular access to $10,000 or more of cash of the employer, a
                      customer, or client, during the workday

Comment

Well, I don't think I got the job because of my bankruptcy. They pulled my credit report and asked why I even filed BK since I owed nothing. All my creditors adjusted my balances to 0 a few weeks after the petition was filed. The foreclosure is still on there though. I'm supposed to meet with the HR person today to discuss my credit report today (per her request). I don't even know what to say. This week is full of stress. I also have my creditor's meeting on Friday. Too much going on.
                        Don't write off the job yet. Why would they have you come discuss the credit report if they have already made a decision? Be ready to tell the HR person about how you got to the point of needing to file BK and what you have learned from it. Acknowledge mistakes you've made and discuss how you plan to avoid making the same mistakes again.

Good luck. Try to stay positive. Walk in there like you know you have the job.
                        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Lady is right as always - they wouldn't do this if they FULLY made up their mind!

Comment

yes, i wouldn't write it off either, i agree with Lady and Iam, since really they were just asking about it. actually, it would have been odder if they hadn't, IMO.

so, sit tight it's NOT over until the gavel's pounded on the desk!

Comment

Thank you so much! I hope everything goes well today. I better start preparing for what I'm going to say. The job is an accounting assistant position for the local Court House. Maybe that's why they are being so strict. It's honestly quite embarassing to have to go in there and discuss my financial history with someone I don't know.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X