top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Included Charge-Off from Insight Communications (cable) can I get cable service again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Included Charge-Off from Insight Communications (cable) can I get cable service again

Time Warner recently purchased Insight Communications. I included Insight in my list of creditors as i owe them $350 for when I had cable internet service and I moved out and never settled the debt. They sent me to collections.

Question: since I'm moving back into the Insight (Time Warner) service area, I need to get cable internet again...what to do? If I call them will they make me pay back the $350 before I can get service, or will they flat out deny me? Once my BK 7 is discharged (~60 days) I won't owe the debt anymore...

How does this work, dealing with a creditor with a "monopoly" on services in an area? Am I just SOL?

When you call them, they may say that you owe them. You just inform them that the debt was discharged in a Chapter X bankruptcy. They may as for the paperwork to be faxed. Voila... all done!
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      When you call them, they may say that you owe them. You just inform them that the debt was discharged in a Chapter X bankruptcy. They may as for the paperwork to be faxed. Voila... all done!
      I read online that "It is important to note that bankruptcy does not consider Internet service, cable TV or cell phones to be utilities, and as such service can be terminated at any time without cause after filing for bankruptcy if not paid."

I'm going to call them tomorrow, I bet they will want their $$ ... I'm in the 'automatic stay' period but don't have my discharge yet. Should I wait until after I have my discharge? Can sending them my CH7 paperwork serve to get my service restored or will they need the actual discharge paperwork?

Comment

For confusion's sake (on their part, not yours) I'd wait until after discharge. That way you can legally prove that you don't owe them anything.

You should be able to get service again, but might have to lay down a large deposit.

When we moved into a rental a year after our discharge, the power company ran a credit check when we applied to transfer service to our new place. They immediately asked for an enormous deposit simply to change the address at which we receive electric power. And, no, we did not BK anything with them - we were, in fact, paid a month ahead with them when we filed.

Same thing with the trash company - They wanted a huge deposit which I refused to do. They relented, but the electrical clowns did not.

Comment

Originally posted by tazunemono View Post
          I read online that "It is important to note that bankruptcy does not consider Internet service, cable TV or cell phones to be utilities, and as such service can be terminated at any time without cause after filing for bankruptcy if not paid."
          Stop reading things online! (Just kidding.) This is irrelevant to the conversation. Most services such as Internet, Cable and TV are actually regulated in some manner by a Public Utilities Commission (PUC) or State law. You should have absolutely no problem once your case is discharged -- and you can prove that it was discharged by presenting the order granting discharge.

I don't know of any State (PUC laws) which allows a regulated entity to stop service "without cause" at anytime after filing bankruptcy.

Originally posted by tazunemono View Post
          I'm going to call them tomorrow, I bet they will want their $$ ... I'm in the 'automatic stay' period but don't have my discharge yet. Should I wait until after I have my discharge? Can sending them my CH7 paperwork serve to get my service restored or will they need the actual discharge paperwork?
          You need to wait until discharge! Unless you are actually discharged, you still owe them the money and they can legally do certain things. Sending paperwork might get your service restored, but I can't tell you that they will honor the paperwork. Some of these service will actually behave like a utility and will honor 11 USC 366 (the automatic stay for utilities).

I would expect to pay a sizable deposit based on your PUC laws.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by btbeme View Post
            For confusion's sake (on their part, not yours) I'd wait until after discharge. That way you can legally prove that you don't owe them anything.

You should be able to get service again, but might have to lay down a large deposit.

When we moved into a rental a year after our discharge, the power company ran a credit check when we applied to transfer service to our new place. They immediately asked for an enormous deposit simply to change the address at which we receive electric power. And, no, we did not BK anything with them - we were, in fact, paid a month ahead with them when we filed.

Same thing with the trash company - They wanted a huge deposit which I refused to do. They relented, but the electrical clowns did not.

If you don't mind sharing, how much did the electric comp require for the down payment? I'm wondering what this will be for us if we decide to move from our apartment. I didn't include any of my utilities in our bankruptcy, as I'm current on all of them...

Comment

I will share. The Florida PUC allows a deposit for electric service as 2 times the average monthly bill incurred over the previous 6 months. So, hopefully, in Florida, you aren't having your deposit set just after the summer months!

Comment

Why not just go with a different company (e.g. DirecTV). Cable sucks.

Comment

My electric company required a $500 deposit if I wanted to continue service. And I didn't discharge a dime of their debt. I was current on my electric bill. It's an EMC. My cable is by a local municipality and they only wanted a $100 deposit to keep service. I prefer cable over satellite where I am at because I can wire as many cable outlets as I wish no boxes required.

Comment

Originally posted by hmsmith View Post
                    If you don't mind sharing, how much did the electric comp require for the down payment? I'm wondering what this will be for us if we decide to move from our apartment. I didn't include any of my utilities in our bankruptcy, as I'm current on all of them...
                    Electric wanted the equivalent of three months worth from the last six months average. Since we are in Arizona and the last six months were all of the summer months, that equaled about $1200. After six months of paying on time I demanded the deposit back, and they credited my account with it in full.

The trash folks wanted a year's deposit. I told them to shove it. They relented after I called the consumer commission and complained about their unfair and unreasonable request. Since I did so with the electric company as well (and nothing happened) I guess the electric company's "gratuities" to the Commission were much larger than the trash company.

Comment

Originally posted by btbeme View Post
                      The trash folks wanted a year's deposit. I told them to shove it. They relented after I called the consumer commission and complained about their unfair and unreasonable request. Since I did so with the electric company as well (and nothing happened) I guess the electric company's "gratuities" to the Commission were much larger than the trash company.
                      The Electric Company's ability to require a deposit is typically spelled out in your State's (County's) Public Utility laws. While Florida is twice the 6 month average, I too would wonder why they'd need 3 months for the deposit. Arizona seems to allow as much as 2.5 times the highest monthly bill in the last 12 months. Outrageous, yes, but non-payment of utilities is particularly high.

I think Arizona defines public utility deposits as "reasonable", and 2-3 times the average bill (rated over 12 months) is reasonable. They don't look at the amount... only how many months it represents.

Just like Arizona, you wouldn't wand your Florida deposit based on your summer months. Luckily, our utilities can only use the last 6 months... so don't fall behind or require a deposit in the Spring!

Comment

Hmm...I just got a new apartment (have been trying for forever!) and I called my electric utility and they just set me up with zero deposit! The topic didn't even come up as I was nervous about giving out my SSN only to hear "umm we need a HUGE deposit!" ... maybe I got lucky? My utility is LG&E (Eon US) here in Louisville, KY. I've always been current with them in the past...last apartment I had they made me pay $250 deposit spread over 5 months. Not sure why they didn't ask for a deposit this time unless policies have changed.

As far as internet/broadband service, I am scheduled for discharge Aug. 6, 2012 so I'll just wait a month to try to get service. My only other option is AT&T UVerse at 3Mbps (too far from substation to get UVerse TV! lol) for $20/mo. with a 1-year contract...no thanks! I need AT LEAST 20 Mbps to VPN into work. Insight (Time Warner) charges $60/mo for this speed.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X