top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any reason to answer phone when creditors call?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any reason to answer phone when creditors call?

I have several credit card companies calling multiple times everyday. I really don't have anything to say to them other than "sorry, can't pay you", so I am forwarding all of their known numbers to Google voice, which sends them to voice mail. The one credit card company that I did take a call from didn't stop calling anyway, so I don't see a reason to answer any of their calls.

Is there any reason to answer their calls? I plan on filing chapter 7 by the end of August.

No reason at all to answer.
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Nope. If you have a Verizon cell phone you can log onto your account online and block up to 5 numbers for free. I did that and it's been rather quiet since.

Comment

No especially if you setup Google Voice (free), it will take things off your hands and bring peace to your house once again! Try it you will like it!

Comment

I had a call in which the collector berated me and insinuated I was a bad person for being in debt. I let him have it. I told him (truthfully) that I was on my way to volunteer at a suicide hotline where I use the telephone to help keep people alive, while he uses the telephone to try and shame them. And which one of us is the bad person, again? I left him sputtering and hung up and never intentionally answered another debt collection call. If you know you can't pay and you know you are going to file for bankruptcy, there's just no point in putting yourself through it.

Comment

Yes. If you don't answer, they will start calling your family members and neighbors. I've heard it's good to answer every once in awhile to verify that it is a good number, but to not tell them anything or engage them in conversation.

Comment

I wouldn't think you absolutely have to answer, however our attorney advised us to answer otherwise they would call us at work or family/friends. That was not something I wanted them to do---- so we answered.

Comment

Originally posted by TwentyTwelve View Post
                Yes. If you don't answer, they will start calling your family members and neighbors. I've heard it's good to answer every once in awhile to verify that it is a good number, but to not tell them anything or engage them in conversation.
                Even when I have answered, they still called my relatives. They will tell them it's because they are unable to reach me when they had just talked to me, but didn't like what I had to say. Really I think they just wanted sic Dad on me. (good times)

Answering the calls will just add to your stress. You have a plan, you'll be okay, ignore them.
                BK7 Filed 7/10/12 • 341 8/15/12 • Discharged 10/17/12 • Closed 5/6/13 Thanks to everyone here!

Comment

Our attorney told us to unplug our phone... We didn't but we did block the calls. I received calls at work and luckily I work where I could forward them into my private voice mail. After completing all BK paperwork and retaining lawyer, all creditors were referred to atty. We sign the papers to file Chpt 13 next week.

Comment

I'm from a different school of thought. At first, I didn't answer the phone if I didn't know the number. Then I had debt collectors start calling my work and leaving voicemail messages for me on random extensions. You know, "Mr Bell please call Mr. Robinson at NCO Inc.". That sort of stuff. Then I had a neighbor that received a call asking me to return a call. Next it was my ex-wife who got a call.

That was the final straw. I came up with a new plan. I answered every call, I even forwarded my home phone to my cell so I wouldn't miss any calls. My mantra was simple and I refused to deviate from it. They would ask me to verify my identity and I would. I would then ask for their name, complete company name and state of incorporation. If they refused to provide any of it, I would tell them that I couldn't discuss a financial matter with someone that refuses to comply with GA Law 17-5-33. What is 17-5-33? Damn, if I know but they sure didn't either. If they did comply then I still told them that I did not discuss financial matters over the telephone.

I found that if you did answer they tended to only call once per day. Then the calls cut down even less. But I never swayed from my mantra. Sometimes I'd tell them I was recording the calls. I loved listening to them tell me that I couldn't record them.

Comment

I answered every call I could and even returned messages. The only reason I did and still do is so my neighbors, friends, and family wouldn't get calls. Even though I did one &SS did call my neighbors and relatives.

Comment

The only time that I answered was when I was 2 weeks away from filing. And then, I cut them off and let them know that I was filing on such and such date and that if they had questions, they could contact my attorney. And after I answered the first one, I called the other two and let them know.

Let's just say, I never got a phone call again after that.

Comment

I never answered, unless it was by accident! I just did not want to answer every few minutes. Actually the calls that made it past google voice would come on my cell & my husband's at the same time!

Comment

BKorbust, I felt the same way after I found out from experience that the debt collectors would do that if I avoided their calls. The debt collectors really hate it when you take control of the conversation. I never told any of them that I was filing or planning to file.

Once I had filed, I had a new mantra... "Oh wait, this is ABC Collections? I've retained counsel on this matter. I am represented by the firm of Dewey, Cheatum and Howe. They are members of the Georgia Bar Association. Now that I've informed you in this recorded conversation that I am represented by counsel any further calls will be used as evidence of violations of Georgia and Federal laws regarding debt collection practices. Thank you for calling, please have a nice day." <click>

I had a couple that would try to interrupt to ask if I was filing bankruptcy, I just stuck to the mantra telling them that the attorney could answer any questions or they could wait for service. I did have one JDB that flew into a tizzy. She started yelling asking if I was suing her and what for... I just stuck to the mantra and laughed silently.

Comment

Originally posted by hmsmith View Post
                              I wouldn't think you absolutely have to answer, however our attorney advised us to answer otherwise they would call us at work or family/friends. That was not something I wanted them to do---- so we answered.
                              This is why I never give out my work number. In fact I rarely give out my cell number either. If someone asks for a number and I don't think they need to contact me I tend to give out the time and temp number, numbers of former employers or the local number for the rejection hotline. I figure anyone wanting to contact me can email and I can choose whether or not to contact them after that.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X