top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Post! : CH7: If You knew then what you know now? What would you do differently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Post! : CH7: If You knew then what you know now? What would you do differently?

I have read, searched, and studied before I ask.

still I have so many questions... and a fear of making mistakes.

BKforum ers.. Would you mind sharing some of your hard won wisdom with a newbie?

all comments, advice, tips welcome!

With gratitude...

slvnomore

Umm,,,, with all due respect, just take one of our usernames and do a search for our very first posts. You will get our stories of pain and anguish stories from the start. We do not need to regurgitate them for you.

Should you insist, then we will consider that you are a troll, looking only for a way to start trouble on a forum. That will not happen. You will be banned and blacklisted.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I was going to say something similar, sans the troll warning. Just take any user and follow all their posts from beginning (per-filing), through filing, then the 341 Meeting, bumps and more bumps, Trustee's and USTs, and then discharge and closing.

There are really no two stories "exactly" the same. A bankruptcy is an individual thing. The process may even differ between districts. I would not try to gauge how any specific bankruptcy would go, based on another bankruptcy. In fact, I highly discourage that line of thought.

Just learn about the "technical" process.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Wow. I apologize. I had no idea. I honestly thought it was a good question so I could see what not to do wrong and the the answer would also help other newbies wondering the same thing and would honor your tips and wisdom and would be most welcome.... !

I respectfully withdraw the question. I will think on it and ask one that is very specific from now on....

Thank you for showing me the ropes. There is a lot to learn....

slvnomore

Comment

You received this response, because we have seen this in the past. Either the poster is just trolling with no real intentions of learning, or they are trying to game the system. The "gaming the system" part is something that we don't condone and will refuse to offer any insights into how to cheat.

Think of bankruptcy as this. Your financial condition is what it is at the time you file (and maybe even well defined a year or more beforehand). You can't undo certain things and time heals most but not all evils (like outright fraud). There's nothing really magical about knowing anything in advance unless you're pre-planning; there are plenty of threads on that topic.

Most people don't go into bankruptcy with a plan or having planned to go bankrupt. It is simply an option that they exercised when faced with insurmountable debt. By reading individual stories, you'll learn alot about what bankruptcy is on a personal level. At a macro level, it's just a technical court proceeding.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. I guess can understand if that happened to you in the past. I had no idea.

I withdraw the question and i will think of a more thoughtful one. Thanks! ; )

Comment

Originally posted by slvnomore View Post
              Thanks for the explanation. I guess can understand if that happened to you in the past. I had no idea.

I withdraw the question and i will think of a more thoughtful one. Thanks! ; )
              LOL, you were hit a little hard for your first post. Don't fret though it is just that we have had questions that would occupy much persons time to answer, and it was for naught in that some Troll just wanted to tie up the board.

An easy answer to your question is, download the C7 book on nolopress.com. I think the download copy is about 30 bucks. It is very good. The process for bk is simple if you are not an asset case. File, about a month later your 341, then two months later discharge and close. In between there, you must have a pre screening course with certificate of completion and after 341 another course that BTW is very good on how not to get into bk problems again. You can do this online for about 35 bucks. The important thing is learn the simple process. Also read our stickies on such and also you can search on keywords for questions once answered. Otherwise we are here to help you. 'Hub
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

many of us, i am an example of one, just "lurked" about for almost 2 years prior to actually joining the forum. it was an invaluable place to learn about how different scenarios go with different individuals.

you may also want to begin with searching "questions" of interest to you. that way you find answers from many, those that may fit your situation closer, you may want to follow and read up on some of their posts. we have many members from every walk of life, which makes this forum a rich, full and well diverse, highly educational and emotionally supportive resource.

welcome to the forum!
                8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Thank you so much for the welcome and the nolo book tip...it is an intimidating journey Just begun...

is there a downloadable version or a coupon? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                    LOL, you were hit a little hard for your first post.

I was thinking about smacking him around a little as well.

I understand the question and believe to understand its intent, so I won't smack you any more than you already have been. The best advice I can give to you or any other newbie is to read, read, and read some more. The posts on here are a wealth of wisdom.

99% of any questions that you could possibly think of have already been asked and answered.

With that being said, jump on in the pool. We're all here to help.
                    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by slvnomore View Post
                      Thank you so much for the welcome and the nolo book tip...it is an intimidating journey Just begun...

is there a downloadable version or a coupon? ;)
                      well, actually while the nolo is an absolutely excellent source there is plenty of good information out there for FREE. personally, i have never used it, however, others have found it absolutely invaluable. it's really a personally choice. i am not aware of any coupon out there however maybe someone else is.
                      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
                        I was thinking about smacking him around a little as well.

With that being said, jump on in the pool. We're all here to help.
                        such a MEAN GREEN!!!! but at least you invited the new member for a nice swim!

Comment

Ok... here is what I think most would have done differently.
                          NOT kept paying on dischargeable debts. NOT emptied their retirement savings. NOT been scared of bk. Put families first before creditors. FOUND THIS FORUM SOONER.
                          These are recurring themes in most people's stories.
                          Come on in, the water's not so bad,
                          and frogger's got a little room to slide over on his lily pad.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
                            NOT kept paying on dischargeable debts. NOT emptied their retirement savings. NOT been scared of bk. Put families first before creditors. FOUND THIS FORUM SOONER.
                            Come on in, the water's not so bad,
                            and frogger's got a little room to slide over on his lily pad.

yes, i heard he's treating the water with a bit jack and some daniels...might sting a bit, but the after effects are pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post

Couldn't have said it better. When I think of the years of monthly cc minimums I paid (only to pay down zero principle), the months of raping my retirement savings to keep up with my mortgage (only to eventually 'unload' and sell my house out of fear of defaulting), the 'pride' and obligation that I felt to uphold my agreements with big banks (only to have them laugh in my face when I asked repeatedly for lower interest payments).. well, I could go on. But suffice to say, I wish I had swallowed my 'pride' and come to my senses sooner. If I went through Ch 7 years earlier, I probably would still have my house and an actual retirement. Look at this as a business decision and try to separate your emotions from it. Also, be careful who you share your decision about bankruptcy. Like political discussion, you may be surprised on the reaction of your 'friends' and family.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X