top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NOLO Book: How to file Ch 7 now available!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get A Lawyer!

I suggest getting a lawyer no matter what!! Studied this book like it was the bible and used it too guide us through 2005 chapter 7 , filed pro se, and we are still going through a nightmare. .

GET A LAWYER

Comment

Yes, I totally understand!

The book was good reading material and great for the forms, but as far as help me out doing the legal part of it- we filed pro se and it was the worst mistake of our lives. We have lived in hell since Oct 2005 after Hurricane Katrina. Tell you the truth, I would take the hurricane any day before I would ever do this again!!

Some of the books info was not precise in what we needed and we ended up making some very bad calls because of it. We are in the same boat we were when we first filed the Chap 7. It is really sad. The trustee has really been hard on us and has not let up yet. Will it ever be over?

Comment

Well, I'm going to have to disagree.

I used this book as the only resource filing my pro se case(well, maybe a little help from the bankruptcy clerks), and I had no hitches and was just discharged.

However, I will asterisk this by saying I was no asset, no property, single, 50k debt.

It was very precise as far as the line by line filling out.

Lawyer was going to cost me $1,500. Decided that a $30.00 book along with $10.00 in copy fees was a bit more reasonable.
        Ch 7 filed 10/16/07 Pro Se
        341 11/13/07
        Last day for objections 1/14/08
        Discharged 1/17/08

Comment

I disagree with the attorney that posted. For a no asset case, I think it is possible to be successful pro-se if one does one's homework. I am getting a paralegal (one that comes highly recommended) to fill out my forms. If I get objections, then that is when I would get an attorney as I see no reason why I should pay an attorney 2k for their paralegal to fill out my paperwork when I can get it done for $200. There are plenty of people on here that did hire attorneys that screwed up their paperwork. And on the flip side, there have been many successful pro-se filers on this site. Now if I had a home and all kinds of other assets then I could see hiring an attorney. The nolo book is a good reference BUT one has to do more research beyond reading Nolo. I personally found the Nolo book lacking in some areas. Specifically on how to deal with student loans on the schedules.
          Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
          341 July 1, 2008
          Discharged September 4, 2008
          Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

I am using a lawyer to file for me but this book has showed me how everything works. I would suggest it as a good reading source for anyone considering filing.

Comment

BE CAREFUL if you are using the NOLO book for your exemptions. I found out that the Nevada exemptions page has a number of mistakes on it. Found out at my 341 meeting & have to re-submit corrected Schedule C. I took what the book said & have now gone online to the state website & checked each one against the current NRS (Nevada Revised Statues). For example the NOLO book said that a 21.090 (1) (q) was for ERISA / Retirement Accounts ... only its for medical prosthesis, medical items / dental items prescribed by doctors! Check the statues yourself to make sure you've got the correct ones!

And don’t trust online sites for your paperwork, unless you are at the official state / gov site either. I found several references to exemptions / lists of exemptions online that were also incorrect.

Example of a state specific actual gov site:
              Last edited by starting_over; 09-02-2008, 06:00 PM. Reason: misspelled words & updating info
              BK filed July 14, 2008
              341 scheduled for Aug 21, 2008

Comment

good to know - and for the record the MN exemptions in the CH7 NOLO book are incomplete; MN exempts all musical instruments and personal libraries (good to know!). there are several others as well.
                Filed 7/28/08, Discharged 10/29/08
                (filed pro se: nonconsumer no asset CH7)

Comment

New Edition comming October 15 '08

The debate over the validity of the book and the need for council aside, should I wait until next month to buy this book?

I was about to buy it this weekend but I was just on Amazon.com and saw that a new edition is coming out in 4 weeks. The last addition was released April 2007. Has anything changed since then that would make waiting for the new edition a necessity?

Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by micah View Post
                    I was about to buy it this weekend but I was just on Amazon.com and saw that a new edition is coming out in 4 weeks. The last addition was released April 2007. Has anything changed since then that would make waiting for the new edition a necessity?
                    Well that's big news on this forum; thanks, Micah!

If I were you, I'd want to wait for the latest edition, but I'd be too impatient to wait that long. So I'd check out whatever edition was in the nearest library, and pre-order the new one from Amazon.
                    Filed chapter 7: June 9, 2008
                    341 meeting: July 18, 2008
                    last day for objections: September 16, 2008
                    DISCHARGED September 18, 2008 - CLOSED September 29, 2008

Comment

Comment

I know I should search for my answer,but I just got home from staying in the hospital for a week and am still very weak and in pain.(kidney stone) that still hasn't passed thru.I have no Medical Ins. and as I said a very expensive.week.My question.I filed ch.13 with my spouse and we were discharged and closed the summer of 2007.(old law)How soon will I be able to file ch.7 on my own for all these thousands of dollars of medical bills and is there a chance I will cause us to lose our home that we just paid off last summer too.If I could have stood the pain I would not have went for care.and now have all these bills and still no real relief. I don't know which way to turn now.

Comment

How to File for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

Is now listed on the NOLO web site at $17.99 for the ebook.

And you get Your Little Legal Companion which looks like a nice book as well FREE.

I will download it tomorrow - too tired tonight to think. - jb
                          jb - A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes.
                          Filed - 2/27/09
                          341 - 4/3/09
                          Discharged - 6/20/2009

Comment

War bonds lighters World war two lighters

Does anyone know if these used to be some kind of war posters or
                            something? http://www.liangdianup.com/subpages/lighters_c.htm
                            Were these sayings on these lighters actually used in war times?

Comment

Insideout,

Don't get dissappointed...did you know that credit counseling can be waived if you are on public assistance?

By the way, I saw a lawyer trying to convince myself to hire one for my bk, but it turned out that she didn't know that there was a fee waiver for both credit counseling and the court fee! I believe that if you are well informed and prepared you should be fine, but just to be cautious because we are filing pro se we should pay attention to every detail and re re re re read everything. That's what I am doing and I feel confident.

On a personal note, when I petitioned my husband to obtain permanent status here in the US...everyone discouraged me when I told them I was going to do it myself and not pay a third person to just read and fill my forms. Amazingly enough with the help of immigrate2us.net I was able to not only get him a green card but because my son has a genetic disorder which he received a transplant for, they made us an appointment that first week...Something that the INS "never" does!

So let's keep reading and preparing ourselves.
                              Filed Chapter 7 4/22/2009
                              341 Meeting Scheduled 5/27/2009
                              Discharged 7/30/2009
                              Awaiting closing!!!!

Comment

You can get the ebook for $7.99 if you put in coupon code a416 at checkout. I just tested it to make sure. I used it when I purchased a couple weeks ago.
                                9/30/09 * Filed Ch7
                                11/9/09 * 341 - Uneventful
                                1/11/10 * Closed

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X