Lawyer took remainder of retainer and we have a problem qualifying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lawyer took remainder of retainer and we have a problem qualifying

We applied for chapter 7. Initially gave lawyer $1000 of $2900 fee. At consult yesterday he virtually assured my wife the Ch 7 would go through (of course we realize there are no guarantees) and gave him the remaining $1900. He has not filed yet because we need to prove our house value is slightly lower than Zillow. House needs 20-30K in repairs to be salable so we're having a contractor come in to estimate.

Long and short, we used our the last of our funds and low and behold had our cable and internet turned off this morning. My wife telecommutes and needs internet to work. Since lawyer will not file for several weeks is there any way to ask for some of the retainer funds back until we get him the proper house value he needs to get this done. He knows our situation and realizes a 7 or 13 will be done but we're flay broke and need to plead with him. Do they have any empathy.

How would you deal with this and what would you say to him to virtually beg for some of the funds to be returned temporarily?

Note: We executed all the filing documents yesterday, but again he's not filing for several weeks.

None of us can speak for your lawyer. All you can do is approach him with your problem.
    Have you stoped paying all debt you wish to discharge? If so, and you can't pay for a few months of internet then you got a problem bk can't fix.

Comment

Since it's off, and you missed the warning notice, the full bill is probably due plus extra. Comcast in my part of NJ (I don't know who you have) will usually require a bundle of money to turn it back on, way more than the 'past-due' amount required by a certain date. If you haven't called your provider yet, just wanted you to be prepared.

When are you expecting your next unemployment or paycheck? I would borrow from a friend or family, or get by for the time being by using free wifi somewhere, or work from a family member or friends house temporarily. Email is probably out, so DW should set up a temp account (yahoo maybe) and be proactive and contact employer or clients and just say there is a problem with internet and wifi right now (you don't need to say why.)

If it were me, I wouldn't rock the boat with my attorney. I don't mind being embarrassed in front of the cable co., but if anyone needs to get paid, it's my attorney.

Comment

If all else fails, your wife could go to the library or somewhere else with an internet connection.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X