Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utilities Shutoff Protection in Winter Months/ Ch 7 Filing & Deposits

Hi everyone,

Considering filing a Ch 7 BK around the beginning of January/ Februar 2014. In my state, I believe utilities are not able to shut off utilities in the winter months starting November 15th through March 15th. Has anyone had any experience with this? Should I just not pay the utilities and just accrue before filing the Ch 7 BK as they would not be able to shut me off during that time period? What are the typical deposits required by the utilities after filing the BK to have the utilities turned on/ continue?

Thank you,

Easymoney

Originally posted by easymoney View Post
    Hi everyone,

Considering filing a Ch 7 BK around the beginning of January/ Februar 2014. In my state, I believe utilities are not able to shut off utilities in the winter months starting November 15th through March 15th. Has anyone had any experience with this? Should I just not pay the utilities and just accrue before filing the Ch 7 BK as they would not be able to shut me off during that time period? What are the typical deposits required by the utilities after filing the BK to have the utilities turned on/ continue?

Thank you,

Easymoney
    Home care program. Massachusetts commission for the blind

It appears that you have to call and apply for the shut-off protection.

Regarding new deposits, I would call them from a phone not associated with your current account and simply ask them.

Most companies typically do a meter reading then start a new account when they receive the notice that you have filed from the BK court. This way you are billed for the charges you incur after your filing date and your old balance is eliminated when you are discharged. Make sure you list them as a creditor so they are notified of your filing!

This is a good question to ask your BK attorney or prospective BK attorneys when you have your free consultation(s) since I would imagine they have certainly dealt with this situation before.
    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Hi we filed BK 9/9/13, 341 meeting 10/11/13 a week later i notified all our utilities, the power company we owed 650.00 for 2 mos, gas bill, water, cellphone, directv etc. The utility companies; they zero'd out my balance and created a brand new account for us, we have 45 days to pay the new deposit which is 80.00 and they can also put you on payment arrangements, ATT and Direct TV also did the same thing, they are not allowed to shut off utilities once they receive your case # and have been notified.

I also have State Farm insurance, and they told me to add them in BK which I was not going to do..but they insisted, the lady was cool; she stated by doing so paid OFF my premium in the next 6 mos till renewal, which also 0 my balance for October 2013 :-)

Also, my power bill and the other utilities were also late 2 mos. They did not hassle us at all. So, for the power bill they told us not to pay anything until we receive our new bill, also if we got on autopay they would waive the 80.00 dep.

The gas and water company did not ask for deposits, they just gave us a brand new account like a brand new service...

Hope this helps
      Last edited by AngelinaCat; 10-31-2013, 05:43 AM. Reason: broke post into paragraphs to make it easier to read. OP please take note. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by mjjjlove View Post
        Hi we filed BK 9/9/13, 341 meeting 10/11/13 a week later i notified all our utilities, the power company we owed 650.00 for 2 mos, gas bill, water, cellphone, directv etc. The utility companies; they zero'd out my balance and created a brand new account for us, we have 45 days to pay the new deposit which is 80.00 and they can also put you on payment arrangements, ATT and Direct TV also did the same thing, they are not allowed to shut off utilities once they receive your case # and have been notified. I also have State Farm insurance, and they told me to add them in BK which I was not going to do..but they insisted, the lady was cool; she stated by doing so paid OFF my premium in the next 6 mos till renewal, which also 0 my balance for October 2013 :-) Also, my power bill and the other utilities were also late 2 mos. They did not hassle us at all. So, for the power bill they told us not to pay anything until we receive our new bill, also if we got on autopay they would waive the 80.00 dep. The gas and water company did not ask for deposits, they just gave us a brand new account like a brand new service...

Hope this helps
        Hi!

I wonder if your agent mentioned if your premiums would go up or not? Some folks here are the forum experienced an increase.

Nevada allows credit-based auto insurance premiums. ( http://articles.onlineautoinsurance....urance-scores/ )

I would be interested to hear a follow-up from you after your BK is discharged and your next premiums are due.

Thanks for sharing!!
        ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
        Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Hi state farm stated there will be no change... I'm currently paying 184.00 full coverage for 2 cars and home insurance.. The only change to it will be replacing the other car with the new Mustang I got so it's going from 184 to 203.00 effective in May... Thanks

Comment

Verizon fios/cell phone zeroed me out and I didn't even ask for it. I was two months behind but had payment arrangement via on-line request, which wasn't due for another couple of weeks. No one could tell me why they zeroed me out. I was inquiring because I didn't know why they had done it and I was afraid that would come back and try to collect it at some inopportune time. Finally got to the bottom of it by being referred all over the place. That was almost $600.00 so I was QUITE happy to have it zeroed out!

Comment

Deposits for utilities vary widely, but are generally held accountable at a state level in most places. You can always call the utility as stated above, or call your state utilities commission (they always have a public contact person or advocate) to find out.

My experience has been that the most that what states allow companies to charge for deposits varies from one to three months of average use. Some states are much more strict; others have absolutely no law whatsoever. But I am sure that Taxachucetts has something in law. Haven't Googled it, but I am sure you can.

P.S. Love visiting Mass. Boston ranks among my favorite places - especially Fenway Park and Quincy Market. Am a history buff, and New England is the best display this young country has.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X