Chapter 7 and IRS Audit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 7 and IRS Audit

Does filing chapter 7 leave me in danger of the IRS auditing my taxes? My trustee says bring last year's taxes to the 341--I paid on time, but don't want an audit. I couldn't find this in any of the threads.

It didn't for us, and our major creditor is the IRS. Welcome to the Forum, BTW!
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

There is no correlation between filing bankruptcy and a tax audit.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks for setting my mind at ease!

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
        It didn't for us, and our major creditor is the IRS. Welcome to the Forum, BTW!
        Thanks for setting my mind at ease. This 341 meeting tomorrow is stressful enough.

Comment

Good to know. Thanks for getting back to me so soon.

Comment

Originally posted by vee1 View Post
            Thanks for setting my mind at ease. This 341 meeting tomorrow is stressful enough.
            You will discover, as well as 99% of others, that the 341 Meeting is a 5 minute Q&A which is all hype but turns out to be nothing!
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thank you--I don't have an attorney.

Comment

i don't want to unease you mind, however, audits are usually audits for a reason, so if you have no reason and the IRS is not involved deeply in your bk you should be just fine.

i like audits myself when we were young we got audited (yes ONLY us six times) for nothing, they ended up owing us each time. thank heavens laws have changes and poor little people like us don't keep getting picked on.

we had odd ones like were is your w2 for this...it's listed on the front page

you claim you have two children and we see just one ...we did i labor them both

your name is wrong...no honest that is my real name
                8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

The IRS isn't involved in my audit. I'm just curious why I need to bring the last tax return and the trustee received the last two tax returns by mail from me.

Comment

Originally posted by vee1 View Post
                    The IRS isn't involved in my audit. I'm just curious why I need to bring the last tax return and the trustee received the last two tax returns by mail from me.
                    The Trustee request has absolutely nothing to do with an IRS audit. It is to make sure you are complying with one of the requirements to receive a discharge. The requirement is that you have filed all tax returns for which one was due prior to the discharge. The other thing that the Trustee uses the tax returns for, is to evaluate what income numbers you used on your petition and means test and compares them to what is on your tax return. Additionally, a tax returns give the Trustee a lot of income and expense related insight, including but not limited to dependent information.

(Also, many Trustees will tell you to bring the last 2 to the meeting just in case they did not receive them by mail or from the debtor attorney.)

Comment

actually what i meant was that many people that file owe the IRS millions, thousands etc., thus they are involved at a "higher" level at some point of ones bk. as jb points out the trustee has nothing to do with what you may or may not owe the IRS. again the returns are used mostly to verify consistency in one's income, again as jb as stated.
                      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X