Dependent college student

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dependent college student

My son is 20 and a full-time college student. I claim him on my taxes as a dependent. Should I put him down as a dependent when I file Ch 7? I do not need to, I would still meet the income requirements without listing him.

Is there some reason you're hestitant to list him as a dependent?

Comment

If he is still living in your home, you need to list him, as he is drawing on your household resources. Likewise, if he has a job and is contributing in some way to the household, such as paying a form of rent, some of the utilities, or some of the food, his contribution needs to be listed.

Now if he buys his own food, and that is separate from the household food, then that doesn't apply.

Welcome to the Forum, BTW!
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thank You.

Comment

My son does work part-time at a grocery store and lives at home, but I do not make him contribute to any of the expenses since he is a full-time college student. Since he does not contribute to any expenses then I do not not need to include his income when determining whether we meet the MI state medium income for the Means test?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Keanna View Post
            My son does work part-time at a grocery store and lives at home, but I do not make him contribute to any of the expenses since he is a full-time college student. Since he does not contribute to any expenses then I do not not need to include his income when determining whether we meet the MI state medium income for the Means test?

Thanks
            Probably not. But, that kind of question is best answered by your attorney who can ask very specific questions about the situation.

Even if your son's income would be included, the median income test is only the first part of the means test. It is not the final determination of whether you qualify for a Chap 7.
            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X