Oh I give up. I'm filing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh I give up. I'm filing.

I thought I settled with American Express over the phone but they sent me a letter rejecting my offer despite a lowly employee saying I could. At least they got $70 from me. Trying to get these people to settle over the last year has been impossible. I only have $22k in debts left, but I have a serious heart problem and can not return to work. Wish me luck & thank uncle sam for bankruptcy court.

American Express is the worst to deal with - file and feel better. I did.

Comment

My usual caveat here:
      Don't jump the gun in filing. If you need surgery or some other treatment, wait until all medical bills are in and any not covered by insurance-include those.
      Also, be sure you have health insurance going forward.

Comment

With a heart problem, and SSDI income, I wouldn't rush filing. It seems there is nothing for creditors to take. I know once you stop paying, the harassing phone calls can drive you crazy, but there are ways to deal with it.

Many will say $22,000 is not much to file BK over, but everything is relative. With a low income, and no prospects of it increasing substantially in the near future, $22,000 is a lot. I filed over about the same amount after 3 1/2 yrs. of un or underemployment, (mostly un.) Your health and ability to support yourself have to come first.

I would start interviewing a few lawyers and see what they say. If you find one that will be a good fit, doesn't mean you have to sign now. Take your time, wait it out if you can. You haven't been sued yet, so you have plenty of time. You can always file quickly, if it comes to that; and you'll be ahead of the game by finding a good attorney now.

Comment

Hi Thanks for the concern. I am lucky I live in Oregon and my income is low enough that I qualify for Medicaid in addition to Medicare so I don't have a 20% co-pay. The only item I have are prescriptions with Medicare Part D I will pay about $1000 per year in fees, co-pays and deductibles.
          I never thought I would ever find myself in this position, so bankruptcy will be a great relief.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X