Paying the filing fee in installments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying the filing fee in installments

Might seem like an obvious question, but I couldn't find the answer through a forum search...

Anyway, I'm hoping to pay my filing fees in installments. Need the other couple hundred bucks to keep my head above water. 1. If I do so, when will my case be officially file,d when I pay the initial payment or when I full pay the filing fee? 2. Alabama, Middle District. Do I have to attend any kind of hearing to determine my eligibility for installments or is it automatic?

Thank y'all again for all your help.

See local rule Rule 1006-1 at page 7 of this PDF: http://www.almb.uscourts.gov/sites/a...al%20Rules.pdf

When you file your petition, you must file official Form 3: http://www.uscourts.gov/uscourts/FormsAndFees/Forms/Bankruptcy/B_3A.pdf and pay your first fee installment of at least $50. The balance must be paid within 120 days of filing your petition in installments of at least $50 as you indicate on Form 3.

Are you filing Pro Se? If so, you really need to learn to find this kind of information. Familiarize yourself with your court's website, local rules, federal rules of bankruptcy procedure and the bankruptcy code.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

LITR should be thanked for doing this research for you. Your local bankruptcy court's website is going to be very important for you. Always review the local "rules" and the local "procedures" to make sure that you are doing this correctly. Additionally, you have one of the best resources available when it comes to procedural questions, and that is the Clerk's Office!

Make sure you leverage the Clerk's office as much as possible when you have "procedural" questions. While they can't answer legal questions, they will absolutely help you with process and procedure. Just make sure you are polite and always start the conversation with "I have a procedural question".

As for a hearing, most Districts do not require a hearing when you make an Application to Pay in installments, make the "minimum" required payment at the time of filing, and fill out the form correctly.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Yeah, about 2 mins after I posted this I found the local rules. I do appreciate the replies though.

Using the resources here, as well as the court's website, and the NOLO book, I am filing Pro Se. Petition is completed, doing the credit counseling this week and driving to Montgomery to file. But the cash I had to pay the filing fee in full went to cover some unexpected expenses instead. ;-)

Simple no asset case. Redeeming the vehicle (if we can agree on a figure). If not, going to retain and pay.
        Last edited by Crawley; 05-26-2014, 01:03 PM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X