Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Legal Aid in Missouri

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, and I have recently filed for Chapter 7 BK. I did not know if people living in Missouri are aware, but Legal Services of Missouri provides free legal aid to low-income families and seniors. If you qualify, a private attorney will handle your case pro bono. They handle many types of cases, including bankruptcy cases. The only cases they do not handle are criminal cases. Due to my income, I qualified for free legal aid. I have an attorney from a well-known and large legal firm in my state representing me. The attorney even got the court to waive all their fees and also the debtor education to provide all their services free of charge.

I mention this because I did not realize these services were available. For residents of Missouri search Legal Services of Missouri on Google and their website will be listed. I am not for sure if other states have this service, but try searching for free Legal Services of your state. Anyone can petition the court for a fee waiver due to low income or hardship.

I have read the posts in this forum, and found them helpful.
    I hope my post will be able to help other people.

Thank you!

Hi, dh33. I'm glad you were able to find legal help. Thank you for sharing the information.

Yes, legal aid is available in other states too. Many bankruptcy court websites have links to information on pro bono legal services. Local and state bar associations are other sources of information. An internet search also works.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Around here, Legal Aid will not accept bankruptcy cases unless you are facing foreclosure, repossession, or having your wages garnished. That is why I filed pro-se. However, the bankruptcy court here does offer a free service in which local attorneys provide consultations to answer questions, give advice, or look over your petition and schedules.

Comment

What pro bono services are available will vary by location. It depends on funding available locally, how many attorneys are willing to donate their time, and how many people are in need of services.
        Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 08-14-2014, 04:58 PM.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

I looked into Legal Aid in Missouri once, but basically after spending all the time with them they reviewed my case only to tell me they couldn't help me. Ended up being a huge waste of time, plus you don't always get the best advice from what I saw. Many of the lawyers have much less experience so be cautious and do your own research as well.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X