top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help ! Bankruptcy notice "Returned To Sender" (that's me)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help ! Bankruptcy notice "Returned To Sender" (that's me)

So I filed Chapter 7 Pro Se a few weeks ago. Today at home I received one of the creditor notices of my filing with "Return To Sender" written at the top of the envelope. Turns out that on my creditor matrix, I'd listed an incorrect address for one of my creditors. Since the post office couldn't deliver the notice to the address listed, they sent back to me.

I now know the correct address. Does anyone have an idea of how I go about correcting this ? Can I simply place the sealed notice into a new envelope with the correct creditor address and send it certified mail and then mention to trustee at 341? (My 341 meeting is in three weeks. ) Or do I have to file an amendment . Im a no asset, non-consumer case so things were going pretty smoothly so far.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

P.S Some context . The creditor notice that was returned is for New York State Department of Taxation . The debt is 10K State income tax debt which is dischargeable . Overall Im filing to get out from under $200K of Federal tax debt and $10K of state tax debt. My consumer debt totals about $1.8K. I mention all this on the very, very, small chance that I can just sit on the returned notice since this creditor is such a small piece of the overall pie

If you now the address, then re-send the notice of bankruptcy. I would do this CMRR. I would also, then, file a certificate of service with the court indicating that you serve3d the notice. You should also amend the Matrix. If the address is actually wrong, you will need to contact the Clerk's office to find out whether you will need to pay the $30 (or whatever it is now) to update your schedules. You will ask the cleark, and make sure you say this, "a procedural question". I don't know how your District deals with an address correction and whether or not you need to amend the actual Schedule on which the creditor appears. That may also require you to update the statistical sheets as well as another certification form as well. Definitely call before you do anything because you'll likely end up with a deficiency notice if you do not do this correctly.

Since this is for thousands of $$$ in dischargeable debt, you want to do this correctly, so please contact the clerk.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks for the reply justbroke. So what I did was I went down to the Pro Se Clerk and she confirmed with the Court Clerk: I just had to submit a signed letter with the address change to the Court Clerk *and* forward the original returned letter to the correct address. Turned out to be much easier than I anticipated. Cheers . Looking forward to the 341 in 2 weeks

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X