Haven't filed yet but getting ready to - dealing with collector calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't filed yet but getting ready to - dealing with collector calls

I have a second meeting with my attorney tomorrow and I believe we will be filing by the end of the month. I am still kind of planning on a 13 but we are going to discuss it further as he thinks he can make a 7 work for me.

Anyway, I have a local loan company creditor that continues to call multiple times a day. I told him last week that I was seeing an attorney and would be filing BK and would advise him when I had a case number, etc. He is continuing to call. Not sure what else to tell him. Was going to fax him a request to not call anymore but not sure if that's okay since I haven't filed yet?

I am not even really behind with this loan company. I did not make my October payment and the November payment would be due by the 19th so not sure why he's such an eager beaver. I'm hesitant to tell them anything about my attorney or what I'm filing yet as that hasn't been decided.

Any suggestions? I have never been okay dealing with the real aggressive ones. This is the same one that told me that "we hate when our customers file BK because that means we lose so much money....".

Thanks for any tips!

Ask your attorney if he/she is OK with taking the collections calls (giving the collector your attorney's phone number). If it is, tell the collector you retained legal representation regarding your debt matters and to contact your attorney going forward. That's what i did two years ago at this time and most of the collectors went away. The few who didn't acted like their records weren't updated lol.

Comment

If referring them to your attorney isn't an option, don't answer the calls. Or, if you must answer, tell them you can't pay, wish them a nice day and hang up. You don't need to talk about BK or anything else.

ETA, there is no reason you can't send a letter asking them to stop calling and to communicate only in writing. You can do that even if you don't plan to file BK.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

You are the guru! I am going to fax them something right now. Hopefully after tomorrow I'll have a clear plan as to when I am filing and where I'm going. Thank you!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X