top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Credit Union is updating accounts as CO each month - is this legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Union is updating accounts as CO each month - is this legal?

I am hoping to be discharged sometime next week. I am doing a bit of pre-planning on cleaning up my reports after I am discharged, and I am noticing one of my accounts that was included in my BK reporting as a CO each month. So just have a couple of questions. Is this considered legal? Does can this be considered "collection activity"? They even sent me a statement notification in my email all of a sudden when they stopped that months ago.They are still reporting a balance. This is for both a CC I had with them, and an overdraft checking account. Here is how it looks below:

This is from a Experian credit report that I pulled from the Experian website. I filed for BK on 12-30-15. Yet they continue to report that my account is Charged Off for the months on Jan through March 2016. They are the only creditor (out of many unfortunately) that are reporting this way.

Unfortunately, the continued reporting of a new charge-off status each month while your case is pending is legal. As long as the creditor ceases contacting you to request payment, they are complying with the automatic stay. Once the discharge is granted, then it is no longer legal for the creditor to report any more charge-off or other derogatory status on the account, and must update your credit reports to show "account included in Chapter 7 bankruptcy" and $0 balance owed.

BTW, your credit union is not the only creditor which posts a new charge-off status every month, even on accounts which were defaulted years ago. Discover Bank did this to me--and even kept on doing it while my bankruptcy was pending--just as your credit union is doing. Some creditors like to post a new charge-off status every month in an effort to torpedo your already low credit scores.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X