Maybe a dumb question about credit cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe a dumb question about credit cards

This is the first month ever I've missed my credit card payments. I was advised to stop them and save that money. Should I call the companies and tell them I can't pay or just don't pay and no call? Is a credit card payment deferral a thing? I wondered if I should request that. I thought one of my cards mentioned something to that effect.

I suppose some cc's might offer a deferral, but I have yet to hear of it. I tried to get cc's to lower my interest rates from 21%+ to something reasonable so that I could afford the payments. If they had done that, I would probably still be struggling to pay them off. They did me a favor by refusing and helping me discover that I needed to file BK.

I wouldn't bother calling them. They'll start calling you soon enough. When they do, tell them you can't pay right now, are working on a solution to your finances and will know more in a month or two. That helped slow down calls for me, but didn't stop them. I wouldn't tell them you plan to file BK. That may cause them to move more quickly to sue you and force you to file BK sooner than you plan to.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thank you so much! I don't know how I would do this without all your advice! Thats exactly what I will say. I hate talking on the phone so I'll save myself the anxiety and not give them a heads up to sue me. I figured the best they will probably do is lower my interest rate which still won't help because I'm not paying them anything.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X