Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake Case #?

Hello all,

I've been a lurker here for a while. I knew I'd have to make an account eventually, and here I am!

I stopped paying on my credit cards over a year ago, give or take a few months. I've got a box of bills and collections letters, and for the most part, I've refused all of their phone calls. On one phone, there isn't any voicemail, but my phone automatically refuses all calls not in my contacts list. On the other phone, I don't answer unrecognizable numbers and send them directly to voicemail. Usually they don't bother to leave a message.

This one did. When I looked up the number, someone reported that the caller claimed to be a Marshall with the police department. On my call, he claimed to be an attorney and gave me a case # for a case filed against me in my county. He said that they had sent me a letter a month ago, and as I hadn't responded they were considering me informed. He also said I was going to be served soon, and that he was recording his message.

I called all possible courts in my county, and none of them had anything filed against me under that case number, nor could they find anything when looking me up by name.

I've been hoping to hold off on bankruptcy as long as I can, but if I have to file now, I will work something out.

Considering the case# seems to be fake, I'm thinking this is just an attempt to get me to call him for more information. They're probably really steamed that they never get to talk to me. (Well, almost never. One time I answered the phone because I was expecting a call, and I refused to say who I was, only asking who they were. When I realized it was a collections call, I just hung up.)

So is that something collections people do? Create fake case numbers? The county court suggested I try the city court, but he specifically said county--and I don't live within the city limits.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

In my experience the more unscrupulous ones will try just about anything. I was in your same boat - kept hoping to put bankruptcy off. Looking back, I wish I would have filed sooner. The process has been mostly smooth, and now I do not have to worry about getting sued or those collection calls and letters. It's been a huge relief.

Comment

It's just so expensive to file. I would like to wait until I get my tax return around February of next year.

I was reading some of the sticky threads, and I see that I am doing the Ostrich defense. I know I should answer the calls just to confirm it is the right number, but even doing that raises my stress level. It doesn't stress me at all to just not answer the calls. I'm much happier that way. And I have an infant. Mommy should be chill.

Thanks.

Comment

I completely understand, I went with the ostrich defense as well. I just pretended it wasn't happening and happily ignored it all. I eventually got sued by Discover and they got a judgement against me. My attorney accepted payments (I did a chapter 13), I had to make 3 payments of $500 and then the rest went in to my plan. Good luck and congrats on the infant!

Comment

Don't let a call like that push you to file before you are ready. Wait until you are actually served with a lawsuit. But, you should be saving money for a lawyer so you are ready if you get sued before you get your tax refund.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X