ABC's 20/20 story on Debt Collectors tonite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABC's 20/20 story on Debt Collectors tonite

10 pm EST, ABC is doing a story on debt collectors and the sleazy tricks they use, if anyone is interested (or available!)

I'm interested...thanks!
    Filed Ch. 7 - 11/30/06; 341 meeting 1/10/07; Discharged 3/19/07
    TU: 535

Comment

I couldn't bring myself to watch it - I've had a belly full of that - enough to last a lifetime!
      Last edited by Guest; 01-20-2007, 03:43 AM.

Comment

I just finished watching the program, and thought it was very good. Along with debt collectors, a family teetering on the edge of bankruptcy because of overspending was profiled as well. The credit card companies were criticized openly for providing too-easy credit to people that can't afford it throughout the broadcast. The one group that wasn't included were those who are pushed over the financial edge due to reasons beyond their control - illness, divorce, job loss, etc. Overall, it was a balanced, interesting presentation on the precarious financial state of many Americans.
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Yes, makes me more determined than ever to NOT go back there again. On the teaser they did on the early news, there was mention that the government is beginning to crack down harder on the collection violators - complaints are at an all-time high. It was good to see that one former bill collector who was humbled to his senses when he 'demanded' to speak to a lady - and her sister explained that she was dead - having died in the WTC disaster. He's now in a new line of work unrelated to credit collections.

Comment

I set up my vcr to record it, but we had a short power outage before it came on, and I wasn't around to reset the vcr, so I missed it

I've heard that there is a movie coming out with a similar theme called "Maxed Out". I will try to see it.
            The world's simplest C & D Letter:
            "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
            Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

12/12/06 - Filed No Asset Chapter 7 - 85K on CC's
              01/16/07 - 341 drum circle 02/06/07 -US Trustee Review
              03/19/07 - Objection Deadline - 03/21/07 Discharged/Closed
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChainSmokin View Post
                Thanks for the heads up poorme!

With the time they had to work with, I thought they did a good job. The family of 7 living off 35k was interesting / educational.

They gave a piece of advice I wasn’t sure about, perhaps someone here can clarify. They said not to close credit card accounts on your own, they said just to cut up the cards and not use them. Does anyone know the logic to this and does it apply to folks in a BK situation?

On my credit reports, TU shows 8 open accounts, EX shows 2, and Eq shows only 1.

It's way too early for me to start any clean up, but for future reference.

Thanks
                Open accounts in good standing will remain on your credit report indefinitely, giving you a longer positive credit history, helping to increase your score. And if the balance is zero on an open account, your utilization of credit will be low, which looks better on your credit, too.
                The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Thanks goingdown! I won't sweat any of the zeros.
                  12/12/06 - Filed No Asset Chapter 7 - 85K on CC's
                  01/16/07 - 341 drum circle 02/06/07 -US Trustee Review
                  03/19/07 - Objection Deadline - 03/21/07 Discharged/Closed
                  sigpic

Comment

When they said that on there, Hubby looked at me with a quizzed expression on his face.

I said "Yep! Old accts show a longer, positive credit history. The older the positive accts, the higher your score goes."

I saw the show and thought it was pretty good over all. I do wish they had told people NOT to talk to Collections Agents.

I guess we got lucky that none of our accts were turned over to a company like that Apex where the guy threatened the Lady's life.
                    Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                    Discharged - 12/2006
                    Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
                    Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Originally posted by ChainSmokin View Post
                      They gave a piece of advice I wasn’t sure about, perhaps someone here can clarify. They said not to close credit card accounts on your own, they said just to cut up the cards and not use them. Does anyone know the logic to this and does it apply to folks in a BK situation?
                      I believe the idea is that the credit score looks at the difference between your available credit and what you're using. Shut down accounts, and your total available credit shrinks, making your balances loom larger, which typically hurts your score. Of course, this is before filing bankruptcy.
                      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X