top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the minimum income requirement for garnishing wages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the minimum income requirement for garnishing wages?

I live in Arizona, and I've heard that creditors with a judgment can garnish wages, but only if the person has an income above 30 times the minimum wage per month. So, if a person makes less than this amount, can he or she have their wages garnished? Or is there no minimum earnings requirement for garnishments?
    The world's simplest C & D Letter:
    "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
    Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Originally posted by GoingDown
    I live in Arizona, and I've heard that creditors with a judgment can garnish wages, but only if the person has an income above 30 times the minimum wage per month. So, if a person makes less than this amount, can he or she have their wages garnished? Or is there no minimum earnings requirement for garnishments?

Title III also protects employees by limiting the amount of earnings that may be garnished in any workweek or pay period to the lesser of 25 percent of disposable earnings or the amount by which disposable earnings are greater than 30 times the federal minimum hourly wage prescribed by Section 6(a)(1) of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938. This limit applies regardless of how many garnishment orders an employer receives. As of September 1, 1997, the federal minimum wage is $5.15 per hour.

Comment

It might depend upon who the creditor is. I have known of instances involving child support and IRS, where these rules were not followed.
      Also the federal minimum wag might be differeent than the minimum wage where you love. I livein IL and the min. wage here is higher that the Fed. Min. and I know that we are not the highest state.
      I know because my wife (who thinks that I knwo all fin. trivia phoned from work one day and asked me because a co-worker's son was looking for work and wondered how much the min wage was) I googled "minimum wage" and found a govt. site which listed all fo the states.
      I sure hope for your sake that it is 30 times, if that helps. Art

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X