creditor called next door neighbour !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

creditor called next door neighbour !

I had a knock on the door at 9:45 pm... and it was my next door neighbour, with a message to call a number.

I presume it was a creditor... I was very embarrassed.

what can I do to stop this from happening again before I am able to file ?
    Marie

wow..the nerve of that creditor. That is pure harrassment. You should call them and tell them you are filing BK and have the name of the lawyer or service you are using and they will confirm that and leave you alone. Oh...that is so intrusive and embarrassing, sorry you went through that..never heard of that happening. Once you filed, give them a call and GIVE THEM THE BK NUMBER OF YOUR FILING..what a relief that would be for me.

Comment

I've received calls ffrom creditors for neighbors.

Told em to go to hell. I won't help a creditor add to someone's embarassment or misery. This should be illegal, really. To avoid it, answer the phone or respond via letter to inform them that they have the correct person. No more than that is necessary. The point is you have to inform them they have correct contact information. Then, they won't be calling neighbors, friends, etc. Well, some. Others will ignore it and keep on calling, mostly to cause you embarrassment.
      11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
      12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
      3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

"I presume it was a creditor... I was very embarrassed"

That was their intention.
        Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
        "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

Yep, these arses will do whatever they can to shame you into paying. I had a similar call, as noted above. The creditor asked me to walk four houses down the block and hand my phone to my neighbor. They even told me they were trying to collect money. I knew nothing of FDCPA at the time, but I knew enough to avoid being part of this person's misery.

I eventually met the man and DID come to understand his situation. He had been conned out of about 35k by a self-publishing outfit. They convinced him that he could be the next best-selling author on the subject of Golf. The next Tiger Woods, if you will. This, in spite of the fact that, he had only taken up golfing as a sport at age 62 and really wasn't good. They preyed on his dreams and ruined his life. Now he has a garage filled with mildewing pallets of unedited and terrible looking books with no quality and no value

He spent his life savings and retirement money on this travesty.

These people should be in prison.

BTW, I am watching the debtor education, post-filing video, tonight, so I may post nonstop while this fool yells at me about my bad decisions.
          3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

Originally posted by DeadManCrawling View Post
            BTW, I am watching the debtor education, post-filing video, tonight, so I may post nonstop while this fool yells at me about my bad decisions.
            Fill me in on the post-filing video. I'd love to hear all about it!!!
            Stopped paying c. cards February 2009
            Retained attorney 11/5/09 - $100k in C.Card debt - $120000 per year income - Filed Feb 2010 - 341 Apr 2010 - No Asset Case/Report of No Dist Apr 2010 - Discharged June 2010
            Case went without a hitch!
            I HELD MY HEAD HIGH IN THAT COURTROOM AND NOW I AM MOVING ON!

Comment

so, I called them back last night, but I just got a machine. they called me again this morning, and I was able to deal with them in a coherent fashion, thanks to the information I had read on this forum.

If I had not been reading here for the last few weeks , I would have been a gibbering wreck !

Thanks everyone who posts here...every bit of information is useful and arms us for this struggle ahead.
              Marie

Comment

I am sorry about your troubles.
                Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
                Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
                Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
                341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Comment

Originally posted by calgirl67 View Post
                  Fill me in on the post-filing video. I'd love to hear all about it!!!
                  It was boring, long and poorly produced. So, I stopped watching it. I downloaded it to another computer which has the capability of auto-scanning it and grabbing the codes you are required to write down to prove that you actually watched it.

Will bore the heck out of the other computer later. May seem cruel, but computers aren't considered living beings . . . right?

Maybe I will post the codes on a bunch of webites and forums so others do not have to suffer in vain.

lol
                  3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

First of all don't be embarrassed. Chances are very high that your neighbor either is or is about to be in near the same situation. Either talk to the neighbor in person or write a letter asking them to no longer contact you over any such matters and recommend that they no longer answer or otherwise get involved in matters involving your personal business. I'm not suggesting to be rude about it -- merely to let them no that you don't wish to see them as an intermediary in the matter.

In reality most people would have refused such a request from a creditor as they would know better. If a creditor asked me to contact a family member or neighbor over a debt I'd either just hang up or tell them to go to hell.
                    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor giving legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

thank you. the neighbour had not spoken to them personally, but they had left a message on his answering machine. I really don't think he had any idea that it was a collector, just someone who was trying to contact us over a business matter.

I am rapidly getting over any guilt or embarrassment as I realise that everyone is hurting in the current economy, and no one seems to be immune to hardship at the moment.
                      Marie

Comment

Creditors and collection agencies start calling your friends and neighbors when you don't answer the telephone. As I have stated over and over on this forum avoiding the calls is a bad idea. Many people on here will tell you to not answer your phone. I equate that to sticking your head in the sand. The problem won't go away.

From my personal experience the best way to handle creditors is to ensure that they have a current telephone number for you. Then when they call you confirm you are who they are looking for but refuse to discuss the matter. Oh, they huff and puff. They will tell you that you have to discuss it, that is when you bid them a good day and hang up. I've told debt collectors that we can discuss the Braves, old cars or the weather but if they mention anything having to do with the debt I'll hang up. Man, they hate that. See, what little training they have tells them to maintain control of the telephone call. They hate some ****** taking control and telling them what they will or won't do.

As long as they can reach you, they cannot begin calling anyone to "attempt to locate" you. This pond scum debt collector that called you wasn't doing anything wrong. They were attempting to reach you and discuss the debt that they feel you legitimately owe their company or the company that they represent. Expect more of these type of calls.

I never told any debt collector of my intentions to file. After I filed, I was such an *** that I simply told the debt collectors that I had retained an attorney reference this matter. When they would ask if I had filed or was filing bankruptcy, I stuck to my mantra. I have retained the firm of Dewey, Cheatum and Howe... they are members of the Georgia Bar Association and in the phone book. Please contact them for all information about this matter. I even had a couple JDB's ask me if I was suing them. My reply was for them to call Dewey, Cheatum and Howe.

Comment

I have had a creditor call my wifes mom, several states away...and I really
                          do not even know my wifes mom that much to begin with. Its wired that
                          everytime someone wants to talk, and it seems to be easy to get ahold
                          of her mother...They must have access to a pretty savvy database...

Comment

I CA just called an organization where I volunteer and am listed on the website. They are trying to collect for a debt from my out of business LLC which I plan to BK when I file. Embarrassing but I guess that comes with the territory. I am in SoCal can I stop them from calling back?

Comment

One creditor did call my old place of employment. Luckily one of my friends was working and said she didn't know I was and had never heard of me. Then the creditor called right back. My friend said, "Didn't I just talk to you? I told you.. I don't know who this guy is and I have worked here for 5 years!" Then she called me. She was funny, "someone called a couple times looking for you. They were probably trying to sell you aluminum siding or something...."
                              Filed 11-4-09
                              Discharged 4-26-10 (took 3k out of a 4k tax return. Who cares! $55k in debt went away!)
                              Portland, Oregon

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X