protecting Social Security payments-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

protecting Social Security payments-

In reading this article- how would I, write up a letter- that my income is solely SS, and the account should be exempt from any seizure?

Maybe they can put a notation on the account. With out tipping my hat too much- the place I bank with a small.
    Discharged- pro se- chapter 7~!

anykey - completely separate and apart from my BK - my fiancee is on SS disability, and is also facing collection problems.

He simply called SS and had them discontinue direct deposit - that's the simplest way to avoid it....
    Moving ahead with my fresh start!
    Ch 7 Discharge: 12/14/2009
    TT Report of No Dist! 03/31/2010
    Case CLOSED!!!: 04/28/2010

Comment

No. I get a paper check now. I got a money order for the mortgage and the water bill. And kept the cash for later in the month for bills. I hesitate to say leave $100 in the checking- to pay bills online- - but if that money came from SS- then technically it should not be touched. But they might just grab it- and then I would have to argue then.

If need be I will keep doing this. But frankly even if the seize $20 - I will then wish I had even less in the account.

Rationing the money out the whole month is hard. And on less then $800 to run a household and an old car on the road. - a challenge. I am so in trouble if a tooth filling falls out or the car breaks down.

I got rid of many expenses. But to have a roof overhead- there is still the Mortgage- insurance, taxes, water, sewer, electric, gas, basic phone, car insurance and license, gasoline and oil for the car- as well as household products such as laundry soap- toilet paper, cleaning products.

The heat alone could wipe me out next month.

I keep the account so that I can cash checks. But do not want a NSF fee. So a few dollars has to stay in it.

Thankfully my SS check IS a paper check.

Comment

i used to get my ss checks and cash them at walmart...but a few months ago i got the ss debit card...they cant garnish or seize it because all you can put on it is ss...it has been working great..you can get cash from most any bank...no fees execpt at atm,s its well worth it...and safe....

Comment

Originally posted by junker View Post
          i used to get my ss checks and cash them at walmart...but a few months ago i got the ss debit card...they cant garnish or seize it because all you can put on it is ss...it has been working great..you can get cash from most any bank...no fees execpt at atm,s its well worth it...and safe....
          Which bank manages the debit card?

Does one get that at the Soc Sec website?

Comment

I have too, and it works just fine....Direct Express handles it. You can submit the application right online.

Comment

Originally posted by OHBOY View Post
              I have too, and it works just fine....Direct Express handles it. You can submit the application right online.

www.usdirectexpress.com/
              Wow! Yes. This might work. Have you used the bill pay feature? How long has this place been around?

Comment

mine is issued by commercia bank..

Comment

I don't know how long the SS debit cards have 'been around'..... suspect MAYBE a year, year and a half...I am guessing ?

I followed 'junkers' recommendation and recieved the card quickly. Previously had direct deposit, but under the circumstances I like this much better.

This month was the first time I used it, withdrew the whole amount at a bank (after looking online to make sure it was in...), and everything went smoothly. Paid the mortgage, rest goes for groceries...and, voila.. gone.
                  (waiting for our 'fearless'...hmmm... 'spineless, corrupt, SOB leaders' to reinact the Cola on SS benefits come re election time...I hear THEY are getting their 'Automatic' raises...sorry, I am easily getting off track here...)

As to 'Bill pay', when I looked online to check it out, I thought it said that they will have it 'shortly', but didn't have it available yet...maybe it's there now ?
                  Last edited by OHBOY; 12-09-2009, 09:24 PM.

Comment

I doubt there will be a COLA. Tho I am pretty sure there is some inflation.

It was a nice thought.... but the way they talk Social Security is in big trouble too.

Comment

If you are existing on $800 you should also apply for food stamps, HEAP, LIHEAP, and Low-Income Utility & Phone Assistance programs through your local utilities/phone company. These programs offer reduce costs programs, service credit, home repairs (door/window replacement and weatherization) and even free appliances including refrigerators, stoves, central air conditioners/furnaces, microwave ovens, and even light bulbs. I know because i got them all and more.

Just google and you will surprised at all the assistance out there. Don't depend on anyone to tell you what that is though, you need to not only do your own homework but you also need to be persistent pursuing each resource especially with LIHEAP which tends to be administered by local CAP (Community Action Partnership) programs. It took me 6 months to get some services.

Good Luck
                      C7L

Comment

the db card sounds great. billpay would really make it even better. can't wait!!
                        (first 341 10/14/09, cont'd 341 10/23/09) (12/14/09 last day to object) (341 Shows HELD w/tt report of no distribution 1/9/2010)
                        :clapping Discharged 1/25/2010 Case Closed 3/11/2010:D

Comment

When he turns 65 the SS Disability will become Social Security after that. Just the name will change, and not the amount.
                          (first 341 10/14/09, cont'd 341 10/23/09) (12/14/09 last day to object) (341 Shows HELD w/tt report of no distribution 1/9/2010)
                          :clapping Discharged 1/25/2010 Case Closed 3/11/2010:D

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X