? about collectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? about collectors

Yesterday, someone came to my house. He just mosied his way into my backyard (my driveway goes all the way around my house). He didn't come to the door. I noticed him and went to the back door and asked him what he was doing. He stated that he was looking for someone. And when I asked who, he said the person who used to live her and went on to mention that it was a black person. This guy looked like he was in his early to late 30s.

Well, I met the prior owners (who were in this house for 20 years) when my ex and I bought the house. They aren't black. And I have been living in the house for over 11 years. He mosied away. My car payment is current. The only ones that are late are my credit cards (who have been calling and have even found my cell number, in fact, Chase only calls my cell). Also, my checking account at my bank is overdrawn by my mortgage amount. The reason for this is that my bank (also my mortgage holder) took the money out for the mortgage automatically (I chose the bi-weekly plan when I refinanced). They won't close that account until I give them my new banking information. Which I am not doing, but I am planning on bringing it current on Tuesday when I get paid (I have to pay a full month's mortgage payment when I file to qualify for the means test) and again, just before I file.

It was pretty scary because it was obvious that the person was lying. The kids slept in my room and I had my son's staff (martial arts weapon, which I do know how to use enough for protection given that I am a black belt) in my room just in case.

Could this guy have been sent by one of my creditors to look over my assets? Obviously, I am a little freaked out about this.

I would tend more to think that person was "casing" the place than being a collector. He may be a collector but not the kind you are thinking of. No matter what color belt you have, it is better to have a Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson with you. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
      I would tend more to think that person was "casing" the place than being a collector. He may be a collector but not the kind you are thinking of. No matter what color belt you have, it is better to have a Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson with you. 'Hub
      Don't believe in having a gun in the house with young kids and don't have the money for one anyway. And any weapon won't make a difference if there already is a Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson pointing at you.

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
        Don't believe in having a gun in the house with young kids and don't have the money for one anyway. And any weapon won't make a difference if there already is a Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson pointing at you.
        Point is, you don't bring a knife to a gun fight. Having a black belt is far above not and I admire your effort. My Mother got to brown.

The gun is only as safe as the education on how to use it or secure it. I agree that children have no concept in it's power so it's better to be safe than sorry. 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

File a police report and ask if they'll patrol more frequently.

Comment

If you have a good relationship/communication with them - you may want to let them know as well. They are more apt to respond if they aware there may be a freak off the leash hanging around your neighborhood.

It could also be nothing - someone having the wrong address.

Whether you believe in having a gun for protection or in your home is a personal choice. However, it is always good to educate your children about them. There is a difference between educating and scaring them. You never know where they could pick one up. Heck, we had a six year old locally find on on the playground at school - loaded without the safety on. It was a gun used in a drive by five miles from the school.

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
              that's totally your decision to not have a gun. I do agree with Hub though, that the martial arts stick won't do anything against an armed intruder.

There are gun safes where a gun could be safetly kept from children.

I, personally, would feel much safer with a gun in the house- with a guy sneaking around the back yard.

That's not normal. I would also call the police and make a report. Have you checked police reports in your area recently?

Here in CA- there are some types that go either door to door and try to be let in to "use the phone" or sell something- then rob the people; or simply sneak around back and break in that way.
              Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
              341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
              Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
              Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

Not having a firearm is the house is a choice that some choose to make. Trust me, if you had greeted this individual out in your yard with a large caliber handgun in your hand, he would be much less inclined to come back. Even better would have been to hold him at gunpoint until the local authorities showed up and identified him.

There are other methods other than firearms. I know someone that saw someone slip into their open garage. She turned her Bull Mastiff loose after uttering a command. When the police got there the guy was cowering on top of her SUV with no reasonable explanation of why he was on the property. He tried to say scouting for a repo man but that story fell apart when he couldn't give the cops anything they could check out.

Comment

Originally posted by nerves View Post
                  If you have a good relationship/communication with them - you may want to let them know as well. They are more apt to respond if they aware there may be a freak off the leash hanging around your neighborhood.

It could also be nothing - someone having the wrong address.

Whether you believe in having a gun for protection or in your home is a personal choice. However, it is always good to educate your children about them. There is a difference between educating and scaring them. You never know where they could pick one up. Heck, we had a six year old locally find on on the playground at school - loaded without the safety on. It was a gun used in a drive by five miles from the school.

I grew up around guns. My cousin's husband teaches gun safety to kids. I do know to educate my kids about guns. I just don't want any in my house.

And if an intruder is armed with a gun, having a gun isn't going to do any good as chances are they will already have the gun pointed at you.

I probably just a little freaked out about getting all of these collection calls (i'm not planning on giving them my attorney's number to call until I am a couple of weeks away from filing as I don't want any lawsuits to deal with).

This month is going to be fun. I plan on filing the end of this month.

In the meantime, I am a little nervous about Discover. Why? Because where I work, I may have to have contact with them regarding issues with cc charges or chargebacks. Probably nervous for nothing, but still nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by jribe View Post
                    that's totally your decision to not have a gun. I do agree with Hub though, that the martial arts stick won't do anything against an armed intruder.
                    Not against a gun,but against a knife? The stick has a longer reach than the intruder with the knife does. Not that I want to test that out. I will contact the police and see what they say.

Comment

Agree with the rest; this sounds like someone casing your place for a future break-in or home invasion. It could be someone with the wrong address but why chance it? Call the police (though I agree that the gun is better protection; I live in a state where I can use it.)
                      First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

I've done some research for collection agencies as to what a debtor has. You're looking for vehicles, boats, high priced lawnmowers, etc. Anything that can be seized and resold.

One rule that never gets broken. You DO NOT trespass on private property. You only make pictures and notes from the street, which is public property.

Only an idiot would violate that rule.

(And on the gun subject, I believe that every law abiding citizen should own one and know how to use it.)
                        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X