top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How soon do banks start garnishing your wages for late credit card payments ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How soon do banks start garnishing your wages for late credit card payments ?

I have not paid my credit cards & personal line of credit since end of february 2011... Due to unemployment ( husbands ) rising cost of everything else, mortgage went up ( my paycheck of couse hasn't in 5 years )
    and the hits just keep on coming ! ....

Its now end of april and becu keeps calling me asking where their line of credit payment is. Now there starting to call me at my work !! Good grief.

how soon do the banks ( becu & chase ) start suing you for wage garnishment's ? i certainly dont want that to happen with my paycheck!! I have been told some mixed time frames ( 6-18 months after first delinquet payment ? )
    sounds right i guess, but wanted some feedback from personal experience out there. This is a first for me having to stop making payments to anyone,,,, i have always had the best of credit.

Is it your personal phone they call at work??Or the business you can put a stop to that by telling your not allowed to recieve personal calls there....Also you could send a letter to them to not call you period and they should honor that but make those letters certifyed mail receipt requested...If your money,bank accounts in that bank change it to another bank,are you in a garnishment state??They can still send you anything by mail but keep a look out for certifyed deliverys or a messanger,,in my case the sheriff to deliver there summons thats really when the ball really starts rolling..Good luck theres others on here with a ton of knowledge and will correct me where wrong and add...

Comment

From 6 mos up to more than 2 years

Comment

they have to get a judgment against you first in court before they can garnish wages or freeze a bank account. judgments are served to your address. after they get the judgment it can be anytime after that they also must serve you a notice of garnishment at home and work.

Comment

BECU has called me several times a day since 1 March. (and leave a message each time) I wrote them a letter and asked them to stop. They did, they now send me e mails and letters. I understand that they are tough to deal with.

Comment

It took Target Visa 8 months to sue me. I hired an attorney the Monday after receiving the summons and filed the bankruptcy two weeks before the court date.
            Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

Chase sued me first, after 5 months of non payment, but did not attempt to collect on their judgment.
              Citi sued after about 7-8 months and then immediately filed for a wage garnishment order.
              I think it is somewhat affected by the efficiency of legal process in your state and the particular creditor/law firm combination.
              In the major states Chase sues with in house legal counsel (saves money) but they are slower to collect on it.
              filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

It actually depends on a large number of factors. One big one is how many assets you appear have on paper. I've never had anyone ever attempt to sue me for a debt but a big reason for that likely has a lot to do with it looking like (and essentially being true) I have no assets on paper. I guess they reason that it doesn't make sense to throw away good money (legal fees) in order to chase bad money.

My belief regarding talking to creditors you can't pay is generally "don't do it". I know it can vary depending on your exact situation (especially if you already have talked to them) but I usually suspect that in talking to them you only make yourself a more inviting target for legal action and harassment. They know where you are for sure, they know you are listening/reading, they know for sure where to serve you, and you might have also either confirmed or given them hints about major assets and income sources in talking to them. The more they are in the dark, in my opinion the greater the barrier to profitable legal action.
                Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor giving legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

illywa1 this same question has been answered about a thousand times already. Please read all of the "stickies" above for more information about the debt collection process, lawsuits, judgments, and wage garnishment before you post a question. You will find answers to most if not all of your questions in the "stickies" above.

Thank you.
                  The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                  "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                  Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Absolutely. I have no assets to go after which are currently exempt. I have yet to speak to a creditor, nor I will ever. Went off the grid, have no land line. I purchased a annual Skype with unlimited calling, voice mail and seven digit local number for $60 yr for employment purposes. The less they know about you, the better. Owning assets is a burden. I park my excess cash in a Roth IRA.

Originally posted by debtprison View Post
                    It actually depends on a large number of factors. One big one is how many assets you appear have on paper. I've never had anyone ever attempt to sue me for a debt but a big reason for that likely has a lot to do with it looking like (and essentially being true) I have no assets on paper. I guess they reason that it doesn't make sense to throw away good money (legal fees) in order to chase bad money.

My belief regarding talking to creditors you can't pay is generally "don't do it". I know it can vary depending on your exact situation (especially if you already have talked to them) but I usually suspect that in talking to them you only make yourself a more inviting target for legal action and harassment. They know where you are for sure, they know you are listening/reading, they know for sure where to serve you, and you might have also either confirmed or given them hints about major assets and income sources in talking to them. The more they are in the dark, in my opinion the greater the barrier to profitable legal action.

Comment

I had 7 cc and Cap one sued me after 18mos, rest never did.
                      chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X