??local credit union??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

??local credit union??

Hello everyone - I'm going to make a long story short (as I can)

HOPEFULLY I'm filing Ch 7 at the end of Sept. Meet with atty again around Sept 15th.
    Spouse is in Ch 13 (long story)

ANYWAY - owe about total $5K to credit union (local) for credit card and loan. Finally made contact with their collections person about 3 months ago. Sent them $50 per month as I could.
    THEN last month (because spouse's flex spending place screwed up) they got $700 and change!!! for a flex reimbursement that we should have gotten - despite our best efforts, flex place didn't/had not changed the direct dep info.

At any rate, I thought that would hold them off at least for a while. I mean they got almost $800, which covered ALL of the late for the loan, and the credit card is now "only" three months late.

So lo and behold, I just got the form email from CU collector to please contact CU about my account.

I really really don't have even $50/pay to spare on this but...I don't want them to sue...it's easy enough here...

So...what do you guys think?

Maybe contact them late next week? See if $50 buys more time?

If you're filing BK in September, do nothing.

Even if they sued you today, they wouldn't be able to get a judgment before you filed BK. Once you file BK, if they have filed a lawsuit against you, you simply notify the court officially that you filed BK and the lawsuit stops dead in its tracks.

And this is why you never give a debt collector access to any of your accounts. If you choose to pay a debt collector (I wouldn't voluntarily pay them ever!), then pay them with a money order.
    The world's simplest C & D Letter:
    "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
    Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

THANKS!!!! That's what I'm thinking...but I don't see atty for another month on my case...and of course they'd get money order!!!

Comment

Maybe you should contact them and explain that you are unemployed and simply cannot pay anything at this time. I told my creditors that, when I quit paying, even though I was still working but my hours had been cut and I couldn't afford the payments anymore. Every time they called, I just repeated the fact that I am out of work and after paying for rent, utilities, and food, I don't have a dime to spare. The calls diminished, and eventually stopped, and now more than 2 years later I STILL have not been sued!

Comment

Originally posted by bcohen View Post
          Maybe you should contact them and explain that you are unemployed and simply cannot pay anything at this time. I told my creditors that, when I quit paying, even though I was still working but my hours had been cut and I couldn't afford the payments anymore. Every time they called, I just repeated the fact that I am out of work and after paying for rent, utilities, and food, I don't have a dime to spare. The calls diminished, and eventually stopped, and now more than 2 years later I STILL have not been sued!
          That may be what I have to do...I have to at least stall them until I see atty again...

At any rate, I'm not doing anything until next week. I mean it's already Thursday...

THANKS!! for the advice bcohen (and all!)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X