Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Card Lawsuit Dismissed Without Prejudice - After Chapter 7 Discharge

Hi all,

Last May I received a credit card lawsuit summons from Citibank. I filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy in June. It was a no asset BK and went smoothly, no creditor objections. I received my discharge in October. My attorney assured me that the lawsuit would be automatically closed after the bankruptcy was discharged.

Today I received a letter in the mail from Citibank's attorney saying the credit card lawsuit was dismissed without prejudice. Is this the norm in a CC lawsuit after bankruptcy? They were, of course, on the BK creditor matrix.

Thanks in advance for a reply!
    Last edited by daisyaday; 05-17-2013, 06:34 PM.

I don't know if it's the norm, I'll leave that for someone else to comment on, but it's good. Was there an order signed by the judge attached? If so, keep it handy, you can use it (a copy of course) to have it removed from your credit reports. Without an order to dismiss or vacate, the CRAs will most likely just update the judgement to 'satisfied.'

I had a judgement as well, and shortly after filing, I received the order. I was surprised and relieved, because my attorney charges $350 to have judgements vacated.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! There was no order - it was just a Dismissed Without Prejudice notice from the attorney. I filed it with my BK paperwork, just in case, of course.

BTW I did not have a judgement, but had just received summons for the Citibank lawsuit when I filed for BK.

Comment

That is standard procedure. We had two lawsuits pending against us as well before we filed. Once we filed, and everyone notified, the lawsuits became moot.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thanks AngelinaCat! That is good to know. I am surprised it took so long.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X