So the day after you file for chapter 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the day after you file for chapter 7

you are able to start to rebuild your emergency fund, or does this have to wait until you get officially discharged?

I started by living off of what I entered for my expenses on the petition just to see how well I could handle it without having credit as a crutch. It was then I realized I’ve been living paycheck to paycheck and didn’t realize it. I was able to cut some corners and start my emergency fund. It’s going to be a work in progress, but I don’t think it’s a problem to start immediately after you file. Most of us were probably broke the day of filing and the rebuild of savings needs to start sooner than later for our own well being. I can’t see a trustee having an issue with that, unless your expenses was so far from reality and you are saving unrealistic amounts of money.

Comment

It is definitely a good practice to start building an emergency fund right away. Since access to credit to pay for emergencies is no longer available building that fund is a necessity. We started building an emergency fund right away. Fortunately, we only had one plumbing issue during our 60 month plan. We were able to purchase a new set of tires with cash and that really felt good to do so.
      Filed chapter 13 petition 7-7-2015
      Discharged 8-28-2020

Comment

Hey tg16, it should not be any problem establishing and starting a new savings after filing. Just make sure it doesn't look like the money existed, and was unaccounted for, the day of filing. Some Trustees ask to see a running balance (ledger) of the bank accounts as of the day of filing.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X