Question about Social Security Exemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Social Security Exemption

Hi, I want to say thank you for all the advice from previous questions I have asked. What a nightmare this process has been. Anyway the question I have, that maybe someone can answer is...is that I know Social .Security payments are exempt, but if it accumulates in an account, say to like $6000 when the Bk is filed, can the monies still be exempt because the monies are from S.S.? Or, is it for the 6 month period leading up to th BK. I have read conflicting to little info on the Web. Any info would help. Anyone out there run into this question. Thanks Jenra!

Comment

Thank you for the response. Are you saying that if any interest is earned on the S.S. money? Or interest on co-mingled funds? I plan to keep the account just S.S. money. Thanks for your Help!!!!

Comment

Either way. Whether it is interest earned on the SS money or in any way co-mingled with other funds in the account.

Comment

Thank you Tigergem, for your prompt response. I feel as if I'm becoming close to being an expert in all matters Chapter7 LOL!

Comment

Soc Sec

So to clarify, if I put my ss payments under my mattress and earn no interest on them, they are exempt?

Comment

Interest on Social Security is exempt so long as it is 100% traceable to Social Security and is sitting in the same account. I have had clients with several thousand dollars in clearly identifiable Social Security accounts which included interest, and, in all of the years I have been in this business, have never had a Trustee attempt to take the funds -nor have I seen any case law claiming otherwise. If any one has case law I would like to see a cite as this would be an interesting issue that the Trustees in AZ have never looked at.

Comment

Comment

ss

This is great info...attorneys I spoke to never said it was exempt...I read the US Code section and the Ohio code again and it seems like ss is exempt...

Comment

I'm just adding on here, rather than a new thread. If alimony is exempt from garnishment etc in MY state...Colorado, then hopefully the same holds. On date of filing my 7, since I had no time to plan after my 13 was dismissed, I had a full month's worth of alimony in each of two checking accounts. (The alimony goes into one account which acts as a 'holding' account and then I transfer it , as needed, into the 'spending' checking account. This is the same account taht i have my social security going into...whch started in October. I'm keeping this money for paying of income taxes because they don't take out monthly or quarterly from alimony and I hae to pay what is owed as one lump sum. I don't put anything other than alimony or ss into this account, so I'm hoping that no one will try and take it....or I might get feisty!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X