Tax Refund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Refund

I received my refund on 2/11 and filed on 2/15 claiming refund as exempt. I have spent 1/2 of it on exempt things, like food and heating oil. My 341 hearing is 3/15. Should I amend my paperwork to move the remaining refund from exempt to cash on hand?
    Thank you to all that have gone before me and have survived!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by pmac123 View Post
    I received my refund on 2/11 and filed on 2/15 claiming refund as exempt. I have spent 1/2 of it on exempt things, like food and heating oil. My 341 hearing is 3/15. Should I amend my paperwork to move the remaining refund from exempt to cash on hand?
    Thank you to all that have gone before me and have survived!!!!!!!!
    I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can comment, but my thinking would be that if you have already exempted it, it wouldn't matter what "form" it was in...whether it be food, heating oil or cash on hand. You exempted the refund as "cash" already.

But again, that's just my non-expert opinion. LOL

Comment

Once you received it, it seems to me it is cash on hand not a refund due to be received. Also unless you spent it between 2/11 & 2/15 you are in the gray area of what can you do with exempted cash during this process. I have been told and have read everything from you can't do anything with it to "its exempt don't worry you can spend it" to "exempt property(cash) is not part of the bankruptcy estate"(which then means its ok to spend). My guess is that it depends on lots of things like what district you're in, who the trustee is, how much is involved, etc. Common sense tells me that the position of "hey its exempt so I spent it" makes sense. I'd check with your attorney(hopefully you have one?), because like JEM above this too is just one person's non-expert opinion( or in text IMNEO--LOL)

Comment

He reviewed mine today My attorney added it to my exemptions,Though When asked I did tell him I was using it to pay taxes as well just be ready with your answer before hand and youll be ok,I wouldnt say yeah I just bought a new big screen ::OOP:::

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X