top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Indiana Exemptions and sports trading cards. HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Indiana Exemptions and sports trading cards. HELP!!

Here's the situation.

Hubs and I live in Indiana and do not own our home. We rent.

Our 1 vehicle, a 99 van, has a state tax lien against it for about $900. We pay $50 a month towards the tax debt.

I'm trying to figure out the whole exemption process. I think we're pretty much covered as a no asset case and we definitely are below on the means test.

BUT... my husband and my 11 y/o son collect sports trading cards together. My hubs buys, trades and sells these cards to add certain teams and players to his and our son's collection. It isn't a business, it's a hobby for them.

With that being said, they have a lot of cards. I know they don't have any single ones that book for more than $100 on Beckett's Media site. They mainly have a lot of common cards and a few autos and jsys.

I'm not sure how we would value these as they have a high and low book price as to what they sell for on Beckett, but obviously not all these cards sell that price.

I guess my question is how do we value them? How would a trustee value them?

They don't want to lose these cards because they've been collecting since my son was born.

We didn't have sports cards, but we had and still do, have a lot of family letters and postcards pertaining to local family and local area history from the turn of the last century. This is a very specialized collection, and interests virtually no one outside of family members, or local history researchers. So rather than try to itemize each item, I listed "Assorted Family Papers" and gave a total value of about $50.00.

No questions were ever raised about this.

Now, on the sports cards, I suspect the vast majority are of no interest to anyone but the team members and fans. I bought a collection at a yard sale for $2.00, that contains about 100 cards, thinking I would do very well on eBay. HaH! There has been absolutely no interest in them. So unless you have one or two very special cards, I would say that they are probably not worth very much. A dealer in such cards, can give a better idea.
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 06-12-2012, 11:31 AM.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

What would you get for them at a garage sale? That's exactly what I'd value them at, if at all. I put all stuff like that under Misc.
      Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Thanks for all the input.

I was so confused at first. I just don't want to do anything wrong as far as valuing things too high or low.

Comment

Beckett is a joke for the most part. Look at completed eBay auctions for big dollar cards and estimate the rest.

BTW I'm a card geek myself, this is what I do for my clients.
          I am a Pennsylvania Eastern and Middle District Bankruptcy, FDCPA, FCRA and Foreclosure Defense attorney, information I post is based on experience in these districts. It is not legal counsel, consider it friendly counsel.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X