Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone in PA know of a timeline?

Hello All,

I just have a couple questions and hopefully someone in my situation may be able to help.

Just some background info:

Discharged Chap 7 in January 2012. (My name only, not my husband's)
    Mortgage & deed were only in my name.
    We relocated (husband bought home) about 1/2 hour away.
    Last paid mortgage in March 2015

I've been trying to get bank (M&T) to do a DIL but they're not willing to negotiate it without me listing home. I've spoken to bank many times and they know that I do not live in the home nor plan on trying to salvage it. I shut off our utilities. Home owners insurance was cancelled through our agent and bank bought force place insurance. I purchased separate umbrella policy.

Here's my questions:
    1. I live in Pennsylvania. Does anyone know how long a foreclosure will take? I really just want to move past this.
    2. Bank sent me notice about force place insurance and said I would be responsible to pay it. Am I?
    3. I escrowed my property/school taxes and have always faxed them in to M & T and I have done so since. Mortgage company hasn't paid them yet. Will they or will I be responsible?

Thank you in advance for your input. This forum really helped me out when I went through my chap 7 and I hope will help me now.

I will assume you did not reaffirm your mortgage.

You can see how long foreclosure takes in Pennsylvania at http://www.phfa.org/consumers/homeow...ttimeline.aspx. But, that assumes the lender begins foreclosure proceedings as soon as it is legally able to and goes through the process as quickly as possible. Nobody can tell you how long it will take for the bank to start foreclosure or how quickly they will move through the process once they start. It can be months or years before foreclosure begins.

The obligation to insure the home is an obligation under your mortgage. If your mortgage was discharged, that includes all obligations under the mortgage.

If the escrow account holds funds to pay taxes, I am pretty sure the mortgage company must use the funds to pay the taxes. In all states I am aware of, the property taxes run with the home and the owner does not have personal liability to pay the taxes if they walk away from the home. Taxes get paid when the home is sold in foreclosure. You should confirm that with somebody with knowledge of Pennsylvania property tax laws.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thanks, Lady. And yes, I never reaffirmed the mortgage. Found out yesterday, the home "went into foreclosure" but not exactly sure what that means. When I check my escrow account online with M&T, I see they're paying the PMI but I haven't seen any property taxes paid. I guess I'll just sit tight and wait.

I have tried to contact my BK attorney about all of this but she's not returning my calls or emails for over two months. I really don't want to obtain another lawyer just for a few questions on a house I want gone anyways.

Comment

Try checking the public records of your county. Any legal activity would show up there as to what stage the foreclosure is in.

Comment

Pansyface, what kind of public records? I checked my county magisterial records and nothing came up.

Comment

Hello;

My foreclosure in PA took just under a year once BofA started actively pursuing it. My guess is a more organized bank would be quicker. Your bank will find and start sending certified letters once foreclosure proceedings begin in earnest. You may also be served papers through your local local sheriff.

Taxes were eventually paid through BofA without submitting any of the bills. Homeowners was cancelled once the home was abandoned so there was force placed insurance purchased by the bank. In my case, the home had sat empty for 4 years prior to BofA pursuing foreclosure so there were thousands of dollars in unpaid township fines as well sewer/trash bills. These were all paid by the bank prior to them listing the house for sale. Hope this helps somewhat.. it certainly was not a fast process.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Chesco. I did see that M&T filed something with the court through the county prothonotary's office 9/8. I did get a post card from the sheriff's office at my new address asking me to pick it up or else they would serve me with it. I picked it up at the county courthouse. It says I have 20 days to answer. I'm not doing anything with it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X