Cards that Survive Bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cards that Survive Bankruptcy

Every so often the question comes about about trying to "save" a credit card with no balance by not including it in the petition. Just thought I'd share my experience with Navy Federal: I filed on December 18th, did not include NFCU. On December 20th, after still receiving call from other creditors who seemed clueless, Navy Federal closed both my credit card and line of credit.

I don't know if saving cards has worked for anyone else, but if my experience is any indication, you cannot "save" Navy Federal accounts. Has anyone had a different experience with NFCU or another credit card issuer?
    Last edited by leonel9; 12-23-2016, 11:08 PM.

I had 4 credit cards ... all with zero balance

Digital Federal Credit Union
    Discover card
    Universal card
    Wells Fargo

not a single one was left open when I filed. I did not list any of them because they were all zero balance, and had been zero for months before I filed.
    I never even had a late payment with any of them. I had a history with all of them extending back more than 20 years. None of that made any difference.

All closed by the bank when I filed.

I had hopes that one would survive. No such luck. (Long after the fact...I wished I had discharged debt with them....they all treat me like dirt anyway)

Comment

I had a few, including Jareds, that had $0 balances and only the Jareds remained open. When I went to ask for a credit line increase, they summarily closed it. Reason: bankruptcy.

The nice thing about NFCU is that they will reconsider you for credit products so long as they didn't have a resulting loss from your bankruptcy. I don't think it would hurt to ask those 20-year creditors to re-open your account and backdate your "member since". It would be nice.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I had several zero balance accounts that closed. American Express is the only one that survived.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X