Utility Bills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utility Bills

Will my utility company be notified of my filing? I didn’t list them but somehow my online account says I owe nothing... now Im worried... I live in an apartment and I didn’t want my landlord to know this...

There are many creditors that subscribe to the Electronic Bankruptcy Noticing or EBN system. If your utility is a larger multi-state utility, it's likely that they are subscribed to that system and they received an automatic notice that your name, SSN and d/o/b filed a bankruptcy.

Your landlord, however, would likely not know unless you included them on either your Mailing Matrix or on Schedule G (to deal with the lease).
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thank you for the reply... I live in an apartment and whenever someone has a shutoff notice they somehow get notified and it is then added to their account... would they be notified of a bankruptcy?

Comment

The reason why a landlord receives a shutoff notice, is that the landlord has registered with the utility to "assume" services upon cutoff. This is usually to protect the landlord from issues which could hurt the property (think of cutting off electricity/gas in the winter in the northern states).

They are not notified of the bankruptcy except under the conditions I listed above.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X