Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My ex left me with tons of CC debt and pretty much no way out. I'm talking 6+ credit cards maxed out. We split and he pulled the "my name isn't on your account so its not my debt game". I was naive to believe he would pay "what was his" and I would pay mine. The agreement worked out fine up until the last few weeks of our relationship. I've since been laid off with no way of making these insane payments anymore. With everything its at about $20k now. I don't know anything about the BK process although I'm trying to read up on it. I don't know which option of BK would be best for me and I have no idea where to start. Will filing BK effect my current DH in anyway?

Just wanted to say a quick welcome. This is a great place to read up on your options. When I first starting lurking here I read all the sticky's in the general section, the Chapter 7 section and the Chapter 13 section. It was very helpful and makes the whole bankruptcy process a little less scary. I am so sorry for your troubles but you've come to a great place to do some research.

I don't have a whole lot of experience yet, but I would say to schedule a couple of free consults with bankruptcy attorneys to see what your options in your particular situation in your particular state are. I wish you well!
    Filed: 8-19-09
    341: 9-21-09
    Notice of Discharge: 11-28-09

Comment

Unless any of the debt is joint with your husband or, the home or cars are jointly owned, it should no affect on him. His financials will have to be disclosed on the bk schedules.
      If you 2 have joint bank accounts, you should withdraw your name in case you get sued and creditors come after your portion of the account.

Comment

Originally posted by gettingout2 View Post
        My ex left me .... Will filing BK effect my current DH in anyway?
        I'm confused....so you have an ex *and* a current DH (dear husband)? When did you and the ex split? And when did your current husband and yourself get married?

Were you and the ex living in a community property state when you were married? Are you and DH living in a community property state now?
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget