341 meeting monday 20th -NO BLUE JEANS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question 341 meeting monday 20th -NO BLUE JEANS

ohhhh, i am so nervous. i just called the attorney for last minute questions. i wanted to make sure that i haven't forgotten to do anything or if there was anything i should prepare for...they stated that the paperwork looks good. they reminded me to make sure to bring license, ss card, change for parking meters, and NOT to wear jeans. stated khakis or black pants, NO jeans in a federal court. really? i have not heard of such a thing. is this just general etiquette, ie business casual? maybe they don't want jeans and t-shirts?? obviously you don't want to look like a total bum going into court or the flip side wearing a high priced suit. any thoughts on this? any pointers for my 341?
    filed chapter-7 5/21/09
    341 meeting 7/20/09

discharged -awaiting closing 9/21/09

No law against wearing jeans but, lawyers do like there clients to dress neatly.
    I went business casual. Dress slacks, a white dress shirt {no tie} and a sport coat.
    Just dress neatly and professionally.

BTW, my 341, the dress code was all over the lot. Jeans and denim shirts. One guy wore jeans and a beltbuckle the size of a serving platter. One lady a nurse and wore her scrubs.

Comment

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
      No law against wearing jeans but, lawyers do like there clients to dress neatly.

Just dress neatly and professionally.

BTW, my 341, the dress code was all over the lot. Jeans and denim shirts. One guy wore jeans and a beltbuckle the size of a serving platter. One lady a nurse and wore her scrubs.
      thanks for the input. i planned on dressing business casual for my 341. its just the way the atty worded "no jeans in federal court", that had me confused.
      filed chapter-7 5/21/09
      341 meeting 7/20/09

Comment

Dh had to go for possible jury duty in the city we live once and the notice to appear said "no jeans". This wasn't even to sit on the jury....just to be interviewed to see if you'll be selected.

For our 341, attire didn't matter. It wasn't in the court house. The 341's for my district are in an office building across from the federal court.
        filed chapter 7 BK 4/27/09
        341 meeting 6/4/09
        DISCHARGED!!! 8/5/09

Comment

We had our 341 in the courthouse, in a meeting room--not a courtroom. We saw all kinds of attire even down to shorts and flip-flops, which I thought was in extremely poor taste. It was almost like those people didn't care about the seriousness of the matter if they didn't care how they dressed.

We, 'Hub and I wore 'business casual'. He had a white shirt, grey slacks, and a navy blue sports coat. I wore a nice solid color blouse and black dress slacks.

One other thing: leave jewelry at home other than your wedding rings. I have read elsewhere here about people coming in with all their expensive designer duds, handbags, and the *bling*.
          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I wore black dress slacks and black pullover sweater to the 341, same outfit to the confirmation hearing. I saw the gamut---from jeans and bling to shorts and flip flops! One lawyer had a sport jacket and painter pants--no kidding! And this was in a Federal Court House!

Comment

What was incredibly funny to me was the attire of some lawyers when we had to go to our hearing when we attempted to fire our attorney. There must be a law firm in our district where the uniform is a seersucker suit! Three men and one woman were all dressed in seersucker suits ranging from pale green, pale pink, and pale blue.

I couldn't believe my eyeballs. *Yikes*

Comment

I hadn't even thought about what I was wearing Monday. We haven't got dress clothes. I mean my dh works in a factory and the store I work in let's us dress jeans and nice shirt. Do you think nice jeans and a nice shirt is ok? My dh has some nice "golf" shirts, do you think that is ok? Should we go to Goodwill and look for clothes? I would have a terrible time getting my dh in a suit, I honestly don't remember if he has ever even worn a suit since I have known him and that is going on 18 yrs. Geez, now I am more nervous, which I wasn't til now, cause I am not sure we have decent clothes to wear!

Well, worse case scenario or perhaps best case scenario, they'll feel sorry for us cause we don't own dress clothes!
                Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

I know another poster said no khakis, but I have seen a nice solid color golf shirt and khakis that look quite nice together.

Comment

I would think any button down or polo type shirt would be fine. Seems the dress code is mostly unwritten and is more about having respect for the court and the judge etc.

If you are seen as not respecting the court and something needs to be decided that is more about discretion rather than code. It may not go the way you want.

Ever see My Cousin Vinny?
                    9/30/09 * Filed Ch7
                    11/9/09 * 341 - Uneventful
                    1/11/10 * Closed

Comment

We weren't given any guidance on what to wear so we just wore business casual. I left my diamond wedding ring set at home that was close to its exemption value....lol!
                      CH13 filed 5/21/09; 341 6/17/09; confirmed 7/14/09]
                      Discharged: 7/25/12

Comment

Maybe your attorney feels that blue jeans are somewhat indicative of a generally casual attitude which is not commensurate with the more serious business of bankruptcy. Other than that, what you are wearing has absolutely nothing to do with the 341 meeting. Nothing could be further from the trustee's mind.

Comment

well i have my 341 today( really nervous) in a bout 2-2.5 hrs. i am going to wear black docker style dress pants with a button up shirt. i will post updates on how things go, when i get back home later today
                          filed chapter-7 5/21/09
                          341 meeting 7/20/09

Comment

Dress in a manner that shows your respect for the system and the judge. The "My Cousin Vinny" remark in an earlier post is spot on.

You want the judge to think that he/she is important enough for you to dress properly for.
                            All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                            Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Funny thing is I have a navy blue suit that I used whenever I went to D.C. in one of my previous jobs. It would love to wear my plain blue "government suit" if I could, it is more of a uniform than anything else. Then we would not hove to worry about this stuff at all. ;-)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X