top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can creditors call your friends if you live with them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can creditors call your friends if you live with them?

I didn't know how to word my topic.

BK may be in my future and if it is I want to cover my bases.

Currently I have a home phone in my name. No cell yet, but I may get one soon. I may be moving in with a friend and I thought to save money I would just get added to their cell plan. However, if I have to stop making payments I don't want collectors bothering my friends. If I'm living with them can or will they call my friends home or cell phones?

What about if I don't get a cell with them can their house be called based on my address having changed to their residence?

Currently I live with family, but we have seperate lines. Can they be called as well?

Thanks!

3rd party collectors can call others to get location information.
    If you don't wish to talk with 3rd party collectors, send a cease and desist letter . Just say, you have my location. Never contact me about this matter again. The downside with this is, it may well speed up a lawsuit since, that's the only way they can contact you.

Comment

Call others meaning my friends?

How does this speed up a lawsuit? They get mad when you don't talk to them? I thought most people say to not answer the calls after you have spoken with them since there is nothing to be accomplished by that anyhow?

Comment

Anyone?

This might sound like a minor thing, but it would be pretty stressful to have my friends get harassed if they allow me to live with them.

Comment

I don't know what I can add to my prior post. They can call anyone they like to get location information That would include friends and relatives and neighbors. That are not supposed to discuss your debts with others.
          If you cut off communication then, there only avenue is to sue you. Wether they will or not is impossible to say.

Comment

Originally posted by sirius View Post
            Anyone?

This might sound like a minor thing, but it would be pretty stressful to have my friends get harassed if they allow me to live with them.
            If you want to make it hard then don't give out your new address to anyone (unless you are doing a BK you need to be truthful or if you are saying things under penalty of perjury, etc).

Get a PO Box and use your current address. Change over your driver's licence and everything else to that new address. A few weeks after setting up the PO Box put in a forwarding order for mail at your new address to go to the PO Box.

Have ALL bills sent to the PO Box. Give out your address at your friends to no one official so that it never gets listed on your credit report and a skip trace will not reveal it.

About the new account generally if you just add a phone from your friends account you do not have to give your name or SSN. You pay your friend, you don't pay them. Usually then the phone company has no information about you. Just be careful not to call about your debt from the new number and definitely don't give the new number out as a contact number to your old home phone company. If you want to be sure and must give out a phone number to others you may want to sign up for google voice and always give out that number. Otherwise a reverse lookup MIGHT trace back to your friend who they may bother at least once.
            Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor giving legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

As long as you owe a creditor money, they will do all kinds of things to get it from you, like call your mom and dad and embarass you, they have done it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by optimistic1 View Post
                As long as you owe a creditor money, they will do all kinds of things to get it from you, like call your mom and dad and embarass you, they have done it to me.
                Ugh that sucks. My parents and my MIL know what is going on but my FIL does not and I hope he does not find out because he is rather judgemental of people and I have enough to deal with. I know I have used my parents and MIL as refrences on some things, hopefully if they do tell more than they are suppose to they do it only to the actual people I used as reference.

Comment

Thanks for your post sirius. Why are you embarassed about BK? Just be honest to everyone about your financial problems and you may get some help or some good advice.

Have your friends and family tell the collectors that you are working your hardest and reduced spending to the bone inorder to repay your debt.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Originally posted by sirius View Post
                  Anyone?

Comment

Here's what the ca's did to us. We have what would sound to you like an extremely unusual last name, but there are literally hundreds of people in our town with the same last name, and I'm sure somewhere way down the line we must be related to some of them, but I am not aware of it if we are.

Some woman, maybe Hot Linda, was calling people with our same last name and leaving detailed messages on their machine. We know because we do business with one of them and they called me at work to ask us to ask them to stop calling. She said that the message even said they were calling about a future lawsuit.

I immediately called our lawyer (we had retained him but not filed yet) and they put a stop to it. The thing is, the CA had our phone number. They had our lawyer's phone number. I was answering their phone calls. But they still wanted to play the harassment game. They will do and say anything. My advice is to certified mail them a request to call you only at a specified number or to contact you only by mail. Avoid the harassment before it gets too bad.

That is, unless you LIKE talking to Hot Linda.

Comment

Originally posted by sigferl View Post
                      Thanks for your post sirius. Why are you embarassed about BK? Just be honest to everyone about your financial problems and you may get some help or some good advice.

Have your friends and family tell the collectors that you are working your hardest and reduced spending to the bone inorder to repay your debt.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
                      Sigfried...why don't you post your phone number here and they can direct the collectors to you so you can tell them your nonsense?
                      Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Man....my friend used me as a reference on a private student loan and they started calling me again today to find her. Like I do not get enough calls from my own debtors. So OP yes they are going to call everyone you have ever known.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X